Door Tag Date Question.....

edited April 2008 in Feature Mustangs
I have a question for those with 92 Features built around 5/92 - 6/92. This week I received a "build sheet" letter from Ford stating my 92 was built 5/26/92. When I look at my door tag, it had a piece of tape over the date area on my door tag. When you read it it looks like the date is 06/92 but when you look through it you can see either a 07 or 05/92. It was hard to tell. I pulled off the top tape and sure enough it shows 05/92 like the letter claims (not sure if that was smart thing to do but I was too curious). At first I thought this was just some mistake but tonight I was going through some old pictures and a year ago when I was looking at another 92 Feature the owner sent me his door tag and sure enough it looked like mine with the tape.

Any one also have this? Now I am wondering what is going on...

Mine:
vinmustang003ol2.jpg

The other (I blanked out the seq number):
doortagdo7.jpg

Thanks!!

Comments

• Wow. I guess I should read all of the latest posts before I respond. I just attempted to turn the discussion on pin stripes into a discussion on door tags by wondering what your TAPE code was. And, here it is right in this thread.

BTW, I'll start by noting that the buck tag information you sent me when you registered your car has the build date indicated as 0527.

So, here I'll add more fuel to the fire. No answers; just more questions. I have seen this sticker before. In fact, the example door tag I have on this site is one with a sticker over the date. I pulled the image off of ebay so I don't think it would be wrong to say that the sequence number was 157162 before I removed it.

92doortag.jpg

Last week I just had a discussion with someone looking to buy a '92 feature car and he was wondering about the sticker on it as well. The sequence number on this car is 161xxx which is interesting because based on other sequence numbers I have build dates for this would have been early in June.

DoorTagWithSticker.jpg

I could hypothesize about it but I don't know everything about all of the variables involved in build dates so my instinct is to not try to make up something in order to try to explain it.
  • As you can see the door tag on my car is peeling right where the date is. To be honest, I first thought the previous owner put a little tape on it to hold it down. That is part of the reason why I started to try and pull it off. As I pulled the tape, there was a little of the number on the tape but alot still on the door tag. I touched it with my finger and it wiped right off. I guess it was somehow inkjetted on and then the tape applied (?). Regardless I now have a crystal clear 05/92 on my door tag.

Looks like there are alot of door tags with the tape date change. I wonder if it was only on Features or other Mustangs. Could it be a convertible thing as the cars were sent to C&C? My car was built at the end of May so it could be possible that Ford may not have known that the actual completion date with it at C&C???

If anything, this is kind of fun! How many other "Mustangers" are sitting around on a Sunday night trying to determine the history of their Mustangs?!?!
  • Okay, so i just went and checked... and it has the tape on it... My car is a May car....Very strange.. I didnt notice it before.... I wonder what happened?
    BTW!!!
    How did you get the buildsheet from Ford and how much did it cost?
  • And why does my buck tag say that it is 4/29 but my sticker says 5/92.. Did Ford wait 2 or 3 days to put the different tags on?
  • Okay, so i just went and checked... and it has the tape on it... My car is a May car....Very strange.. I didnt notice it before.... I wonder what happened?
    BTW!!!
    How did you get the buildsheet from Ford and how much did it cost?

Check out "The Den" on this site. John put up a few samples and the number to call a few weeks back. It took all of a 5 minute call to Ford. They took my info down as the current owner and then called me back the next day to confirm the info. Once I confirmed they sent out a letter detailing my specific car and options.

It did not cost a thing to get it. It's nice to have.

Concerning the door tag, it is getting stranger and stranger. It looks like there are alot of cars with the same thing, atleast in 92. I did notice it when I bought the car. It first I thought there was some sort of strange cover up going on so I bought the Carfax to confirm everything checked out and of course checked every vin on all panels before buying the car.

Anyone else have the tape issue? I wonder who I can contact to get more info? I'll call Ford to see what they say and let you know.
  • And why does my buck tag say that it is 4/29 but my sticker says 5/92.. Did Ford wait 2 or 3 days to put the different tags on?

I wonder??? Could it be when the car left for C&C to get the top put on and completed? It's strange because my buck tag says May, my letter says May, the sticker underneath says May, but the sticker says June?!?!?

Again, I will call Ford today and question why my build sheet they just sent says May but my sticker looks like June.
  • I read somewhere that all of the Feature cars were started as coupes and then the top was cut off..?? Maybe? Or maybe they were just leftovers of 1991?
  • I called Ford and they said that I needed to call SVT. I called them and tried in vain to explain the situation. The guy I spoke too did not have any clue and then said he never hear of such a thing and that he could not get any information as to why there is a sticker on my door tag. He basically was not interested to help.

After getting my car back yesterday I looked at the door tag again, and actually I now remember there was actually 2 pieces of tape over the date. I pulled off the one and that is where I was able to "wipe" off the date. There is actually another piece that they must have inkjetted the date onto, sandwiched it inbetween another, and put it on my car. I'll try to post a pic later, I am having problems with my photo hosting page right now.
  • Finally got my host working.....here is my door tag minus the top piece of tape. You can see where at the vehicle weight I started to pull off the bottom piece and stopped as it was not coming off easily. You can still see the bottom tape if you look closely. Now compare it to the one I posted earlier.......Very strange what is going on with all of the odd build dates.

I wish I did not pay with it but it's too late for that now!

newtop022vn6.jpg
  • Thats wierd that they told you to call SVT... Our cars had nothing to do with SVT... Right?
  • Thats wierd that they told you to call SVT... Our cars had nothing to do with SVT... Right?

Your right, our cars are not part of SVT.

Actually when you call SVT now they also call themselves Ford Performance and Ford Racing. Ford said that they now also handle most Mustang questions when they said to call them. I guess it makes sense since they have more detail on the cars and there are not any real SVT products made (unless they are still calling the GT500 a SVT) at this point. I guess it keeps that department open.