Shifter Ball....Opinions?

edited April 2008 in Feature Mustangs
I bought this Hurst Shifter ball off of CJPony a few weeks back. I installed it and at first thought it was too big. I put it back in the box and was going to return it. A couple days later I put it back on one more time and drove it a couple times. It is starting to grow on me but at times think it is again too big looking (although it does feel pretty good in hand)

Your thoughts?

feature308005mw3.jpg

Ken

Comments

• I don't think it looks too big. I guess the most important part is how works for you. And, it sounds like you like it in that regard. My vote is to stick with it.

P.S. My wife was just in the room as I was replying and she is more of a visual person that I so I asked her what she thought. She thinks it looks cool.
  • I don't think it looks too big. I guess the most important part is how works for you. And, it sounds like you like it in that regard. My vote is to stick with it.

P.S. My wife was just in the room as I was replying and she is more of a visual person that I so I asked her what she thought. She thinks it looks cool.

Yeah, it still sticks with the theme and throws a little white in the sea of black in that area. I dont know, i guess it just broke it up a little and looks a little "old school". Tell your wife she has good taste!!
  • Kind of funny - my husband threw the same knob on my car (as he had it around and always liked it) last year and I complained it was too big for weeks. Every time I drove the car, I put the stock knob back on. Now, its grown an me as well and I think it looks as good as it feels...
  • I think that it looks old school and cool. Leave it on. Take care.
  • I like it... What diameter is the ball? I think it looks great.
  • I like it... What diameter is the ball? I think it looks great.

Thanks all! It is actually from Hurst to fit a stock handle. The previous owner included a Hurst Competition Plus shifter not installed. I remember those back when I had my 89 and now it is considered a classic as it is not made anymore. After getting the car I put the shifter in and realized the stock handle does not work with the Hurst. I ended up going to Home Depot and bought some nuts and bolts to make the handle work.

The Hurst part number is #163 0014, it is called "Classic Shifter Knob", and the size is 12mm x 1.75. It treaded up except I could not thread it all the way down the handle. It does tighten up which to me was fine. I kept the stock knob just in case.

Hope this helps!
  • I think it looks great. In fact I think I will do the same. My original one is getting worn. I think I will put this on to preserve the original one.
  • Quick question for all of you, I noticed in your picture that you have a little red light just under the shifter. What is it, is it factory or after market. When I first bought my car I thought it was an after market alarm system.
  • Quick question for all of you, I noticed in your picture that you have a little red light just under the shifter. What is it, is it factory or after market. When I first bought my car I thought it was an after market alarm system.

It is a dealer installed alarm. It does not work anymore but all of the parts are still there. I guess I could try and get it working again, but it is down on the to do list.