replacing convertible top

edited April 2005 in Feature Mustangs
HI Guys&Gals,
I'm in the market to replace my aged white convertible top. As you might have guessed I've got a triple white feature car. The car still looks beautiful but needs a new top. I'm considering replacing it with a black top to hide the dark fold marks. I know this may sound sacrilegious to some of you but I'm trying to be practical. I'd hate to buy a new top just to see those dreaded dark fold marks mar the car's true beauty by making a new white top look shamefully aged.
I'm starting this thread in the hopes of getting some advise from those of you who have any insight on buying a new top. What are the pros, cons and unknown pitfalls of buying and having a convertible top installed? Whats a fair price? I'm considering buying the full montey. head liner, cables, glass rear window...the whole shebang. I understand that OEM(original equipment manfacturer???) tops are pricey. I'm willing to go a different route to save a few bucks as long as quality isn't compromised. ANY thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thanks for your input. Eric

Comments

• There are decent aftermarket tops for the fox bodied 5.0's. Just make sure you are not getting one with a plastic back window. From what I remember the top shop had 3-4 different grades of top for this car.

A sign of a good shop is if there are a lot of high end import cars in the shop. If possible find out where the local Porsche/BMW etc.. store subs out their work.

Also expect a little extra labor due to the headliner. The last top I priced was in the $550 range.

Replacing the linkage and cables - not sure on that one unless you are having alignment issues. I have never had any usability issues except for a crimped hydraulic line. It would be a good time to have the hydraulic lines replaced. (they are fairly cheap and make a huge mess when they break)

I am sure that some of the other guys on this forum have actually installed a top before and can help you out on this issue.

Good luck--