best weather to have the convertible top replaced...

edited April 2008 in Feature Mustangs
Its been raining here alot and i just noticed that one of the rips in the top is actually letting water in so I need to get the top replaced ASAP. I'm still debating if I will tackle the job my self or get a shop to do it, but my question is the following:

Whats the best weather to have the top replaced? Is it better during a sunny hot streak? I've read that the top needs to stay closed and preferably during sunny days for about a week so that it streches...or is it better during a rainy season so that you can check for leaks? Your help is appreciated.

Comments

• I recommend having a shop do it. I just got mine done and it was cold so the shop said to wait a week for the top to stretch. Regardless, if the top is leaking I would replace it ASAP. Water can get in the car and could cause rust if you do not get to it.
  • Yeah, im already looking into it...i'm thinking of replacing the weatherstripping too. I just have some q's about what brand and where to get the top.

I guess in terms of installing it, if its cold...as long as the top has time to strech it shoudl be ok.
  • Have the top shop check the weather stripping. I thought I needed to get new westher stripping too because the strip at the header was not contacting the top of the windshield and water would get in easily when I washed it.

The top guy told me it would be fine and sure enough he was right. With the new top he was able to adjust the was the top sat and after a full pressure stream at the weather strip with a hose, I did not get any leaking. I was pretty amazed and also happy I did not get new stripping.

My top was electron. It all comes down to the installer. My guy came highly recommended on alot of local Mustang websites and fortunately they were right. The new top has taken the look of my car to another level!
  • Its been raining here alot and i just noticed that one of the rips in the top is actually letting water in so I need to get the top replaced ASAP. I'm still debating if I will tackle the job my self or get a shop to do it, but my question is the following:

Whats the best weather to have the top replaced? Is it better during a sunny hot streak? I've read that the top needs to stay closed and preferably during sunny days for about a week so that it streches...or is it better during a rainy season so that you can check for leaks? Your help is appreciated.
    If the ole girls a leakin get her fixed regardless of weather. I also used an Electron top and it was recommended by the installer. To date we have been very happy with it. Take care.