Electrical Gremlins

edited April 2008 in Feature Mustangs
Purchased a 93 feature car on ebay and picked it up two weekends ago. The alternator wasn't charging the battery and it was late Sunday and I couldn't find an autoparts store to test it. I made it about half way from Witchita, KS to Joplin, MO before the battery completely drained and left me on the side of the road. Luckly my wife was following me so we made our way to the local walmart and purchased an Everstart Maxx 65N and that powered our trip home from Southeast Kansas to Southwest Missouri.

The next weekend I took the alternator to be tested and it checked out. I pulled the coil cover and found the green wire that goes to the solenoid had been warmed (melted the green plastic) but not burned and the wire was in two pieces.

Very carefully, and with a fire extinguisher handy, I jumped these two wires back together with some wire nuts and then reconnected the battery. No Fire or Smoke. Then I turned the key on, No Fire or Smoke. Then I started it, No Fire or Smoke. The alternator charged the battery back up.

The following items still do not work:
1) Horn
2) Cruise Contron
3) remote mirror control
4) cig lighter
5) radio

My wife found the fuse box cover in the trunk when she was cleaning the car last weekend. They may have just pulled the fuses trying to figure out why the alternator wouldn't charge so it could be a simple fix. I ran out of daylight last weekend and had to give up a little early. That will be first on my list for Saturday.

So now that you have the back-story...

Does anyone sell or have access to the just the short green wire that comes out of the wiring harness and bolts up to the solenoid?

Does anyone have any experience with problems 1-5 listed above?

Who makes the best electrical manual for this car? Haynes vs. Chilton or is it worth it to go to a ford shop manual?

TIA,

Keith

Comments