Cigarette Lighter Removal and Console Re-Assembly

edited June 2008 in Feature Mustangs
Hi folks!

I am swapping my console top tray on my TWF and need to remove the cigarette lighter assembly... Any suggestions on how to get it out of the housing?

Also, I'm nearing the re-installation of the console and had a link to assembly instructions, but it was lost... Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the console and/or assembly instructions???

Thanks!
Anton

Comments

• Anyone???
  • This is done by taking a regular screwdriver and pressing in the plastic clips while pushing the assembly out the front of the bezel.
  • Thanks for the info, but the stang doesn't appear to have any clips, and the image you provided doesn't look anything like my '93 console tray where the lighter is located...

Any other ideas???

Thanks!
    Anton
  • Sorry it was for a 94 after a closer look......I'll keep looking.
  • Thanks!

Anton
  • C'mon, there's got to be someone else out there who's removed their cigarette lighter unit...

Help!
    Anton
  • Cougster,

Alright I'll jump in here. You will probably start laughing once you go through this! :lol:

I'll assume you have the top finish panel off the console.

Flip the top finish panel over and remove the center wire lead (connector is black 90 degrees) from the back of the lighter.

Now that you have the wire lead off you will notice a threaded rod that the wire lead was attached too and a nut that is at the bottom of this rod.

You will need a long deep socket to remove the nut that is threaded down on the rod. While you are loosening the nut off the threaded rod, you will want to hold the lighter element from the top side of the finish panel. As you are loosening the nut, you will notice that the whole element will start to become looser.

Be careful when the nut is ready to come off the threaded rod. There is a couple of different type of washers under the nut. You will want to pay attention to the sequence of those washers. Once the nut is off the threaded rod, you will notice that the two halves of the lighter will come apart. The top finish panel is sandwiched between the two halves of the lighter assembly.

The fun part is re-assembly in trying to get the nut back on the threaded rod while trying to hold everything together. I would tape the nut to your socket to hold it in place while you try and start it back on the threaded rod.

Let me know if you have any more questions. ;)

Thanks!
    Tim
  • You RULE!!!

Thanks sooo much...

Anton