I love my beer can on wheels

edited May 2005 in Feature Mustangs
Has anyone seen the June 2005 issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords? I checked it out at a local book store when the cover article "The $5,000 question. Is the '05 convertible worth the cash?" caught my eye. What I didn't expect was the side bar article on prior Mustang convertibles. It includes a picture of the '92 Feature car but that's not what is so interesting about it and caused me to buy the issue. It totally dumps on our beloved fox bodies, especially the convertibles. And, it's not just one or two jabs but it goes on for six whole paragraphs. It uses statements like "the fox bodied cars [are] beer cans on wheels", "fox convertibles were as loose as a 300,000 mile Manhattan taxi" and "the Fox Mustang was the best 7/8 finished car ever built". Those are some of the more clever criticisms. As I was first reading it in the store, I actually went back to the cover to see what magazine I was reading convinced that I had picked up one of the big three car mags and not a magazine that caters to the 5.0 Mustang crowd. Most 5.0 Mustangs are fox bodies. Geesh, there's no need to be so rough on such a large percentage of your readership.

I realize that the fox cars were not the best quality Mustangs ever built, but, my hope is that the article was intended to be tongue in cheek. Unfortunately, that's not how it comes across. At least to me. They could have made it really humorous. I can't wait to read next month's reader letters.

Overall, it's a pretty decent issue, otherwise. Pick it up if you get a chance and need a good laugh.

Comments

• Hey thanks for the insight. You are right on the money in regards to getting a good laugh. I am getting ready to drop Mr. Wilsons staff a line as a loyal 5.0 subscriber for the last 10 years I do take a sort of offense to the slams given by said "contributor" at our beloved fox, has he forgotten that these cars are 12 plus years old and he is pitting the 05 against them, I encourage him to do the same with chevys vette 1993 vs. 2005 or their camaro 1993 vs??? oops forgot they no longer produce that platform. I also think that you are correct in the fact that he is missing the boat on what got their magazine to where it is today. Mr. Wilson also must not be following the fox platform as of late but prices for untouched gems are really jumping and there are quite a few of us out there "restoring" these cars and trying to find as many nos parts as possible to make these cars correct. Just a quick note of support for the car that we have all come to enjoy. Take care.Sincerely Chet .
  • Thanks Chet. It's good to know that I am not alone in my feelings. You make a good point about the comparison. The fox cars were well regarded in their time. The most "bang for your buck" was a common statement about the cars. In the early 90's I had a 1991 LX hatchback and the most memorable compliment I received was from a guy I parked next to at a mall who was driving a Porsche. His comments were along the lines of the "great bang for your buck" statement. Although, I didn't have the heart to tell him I only had a 4 cylinder in it. ;)

Also, we shouldn't forget that the fox convertible was developed at a time when convertibles were not in favor so I can understand the conservative approach of Ford to take a sedan and convert it rather than design one from the ground up. After the 70's crushed most of what was good about cars with its focus on safety and fuel economy, the Mustang was one of the first cars to return to market with a convertible model and, in my opinion, was a key contributor to the renewal of interest in them. There weren't too many other convertibles available back in 1983. Today they will make a convertible version of just about anything (like the PT Cruiser).
  • I sent a quick letter off to the editor of 5.0 as a loyal longtime subscriber I just hope they read it. I will update you if I get a reply from them. Take care. Sincerely Chet