Should I be upset?

edited October 2008 in Feature Mustangs
I purchased a '93 TWF 5-speed back in April. I just got moved and settled and was able to bring the mustang to its new home last week. For giggles I decided to check the door tag using the decoder on this site...

Turns out my 5-speed has a 3.27 posi and originally came with an AOD.... pause...

My intention was to restore this car to stock specs and take it out to a few car shows a season. Now I find out that to do that I've got to give up my 5-speed for an AOD.

The major appeal of this car was that it such a rare collectible but now I'm up the creek with a non-original version.

How would this influence the value of this car in restored condition? Would it be worth while to keep working on it or put it up for sale to try to get some money back out for a correct 5-speed TWF?

All opinions welcome.

Comments

• That does stink. But you still have a rare TWF. Heck enjoy the 5speed and take it to a couple of shows. We hit the National at Columbus this June and there was only 1TWF there. Take care.
  • Since all of the work is already done to add a clutch and the tranny. Just keep it.. You will be the only one that knows and if you really do want to change it back wont there be a hole in the firewall where the cluch was? Who did you buy the car from? I would contact him and see what the deal is..
    As for the rarity, If you have a feature car its rare no matter if its a AOD or 5-speed. Yes the 5-speed is rarer.. You get my point..

Hope all goes well.
    Ryan
  • I agree with Chet and Ryan that it's not necessarily a bad thing. When I first started reading your post I thought you were headed toward saying that you found it wasn't a real feature car.

A few years ago when I first started tracking ebay auctions I heard from an owner who bought a TWF only to discover through comments on this site that the car he bought was once on ebay where it was admitted to be a clone. He only found that out after he bought the car. Be thankful that didn't happen to you.

The discovery that it isn't an original 5-speed car must have stung (and probably still does sting) but I think it will go away after you live with the car for a while. I know that is how it would be for me.
  • well i guess on the up side it is geared a little lower than a factory 5spd. i should have looked closer. the adj. clutch cable and pro 5.0 could have been a clue

anyway, thanks for the encouragement

i guess i can feel less guilty about considering an engine swap down the road
  • well i guess on the up side it is geared a little lower than a factory 5spd. i should have looked closer. the adj. clutch cable and pro 5.0 could have been a clue

anyway, thanks for the encouragement

i guess i can feel less guilty about considering an engine swap down the road
  • The situation you have on your hands is unfortunately going to become more common as these cars get older. People are going to re-create the vehicles that are the most collectable and swap drivelines/options and there is a good chance these vehicles will be mis-represented in the marketplace.
    Case in Point: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... page=thumb

The seats are obviously wrong, however upon decoding the stickers, the whole car is wrong.

So, IMO if you're looking for your car to be the most valuable and collectable vehicle it can be, sell it. Your car will still be worth good money but never top $$. But, if you can live with it, return the visible components to OEM parts and consider it like the last owner did your car a really nice favor.
  • Wow I had no Idea it wasnt it looks just like it and has all of the parts.. Except the seats.. The question is where are they getting those parts?

Ryan
  • The least expensive way to do it would have been if the interior was already white, which I think it was when I decoded the numbers. A cheap paint job, a black carpet, and a few cans of vinal and plastic dye later...a '92 Feature car!

The only thing he missed was the seat piping. Maybe he ran out of dye.
  • How about the spoiler?
  • Anyone missing their spoiler?
  • Nope Im good..! :)
  • The least expensive way to do it would have been if the interior was already white, which I think it was when I decoded the numbers. A cheap paint job, a black carpet, and a few cans of vinal and plastic dye later...a '92 Feature car!

The only thing he missed was the seat piping. Maybe he ran out of dye.

It looks like a Feature. If it is not they spent alot of money for what looks like no return with a $3995 cost.

Can you shed more light on your decoding process? Did you use the VIN? What stickers? Any tricks you can pass along could help us all as we search for real features.

thanks!
  • Yeah it doesnt make sence..
  • The sticker on the driver door jam is a great source of information. This will tell you the axle code, transmission, interior trim code, body type, paint color, and build date.

The door tag: (Take a look under the Literature section for a '92 Feature door tag pic) The build date on this car was actually late '91 if I believe, still making it a '92 but not within the build date of the Feature cars. The interior code was also not the proper CZ. Granted it could have had a salvage door put on it but the vin would not have matched the vins on the rest of the car.
    The paint: The salesman told me the car had a decent re-paint. He said the engine bay had red overspray on the PS pump and motor mounts.
    The price was indeed, too good to be true.

Check each body panel for a VIN sticker. Every single panel has one and they should match. Look for signs of paint or body work. Overspray on trim, color mismatches, or missing vin stickers are givaways. Bring a paint depth guage if you're still not sure. Check the VIN to make sure it is a real 5.0 and check the door tag to make sure it is what it looks like! Print yourself off a cheat sheet of what the characters mean.

If you have a bad feeling, walk.
  • The sticker on the driver door jam is a great source of information. This will tell you the axle code, transmission, interior trim code, body type, paint color, and build date.

The door tag: (Take a look under the Literature section for a '92 Feature door tag pic) The build date on this car was actually late '91 if I believe, still making it a '92 but not within the build date of the Feature cars. The interior code was also not the proper CZ. Granted it could have had a salvage door put on it but the vin would not have matched the vins on the rest of the car.
    The paint: The salesman told me the car had a decent re-paint. He said the engine bay had red overspray on the PS pump and motor mounts.
    The price was indeed, too good to be true.

Check each body panel for a VIN sticker. Every single panel has one and they should match. Look for signs of paint or body work. Overspray on trim, color mismatches, or missing vin stickers are givaways. Bring a paint depth guage if you're still not sure. Check the VIN to make sure it is a real 5.0 and check the door tag to make sure it is what it looks like! Print yourself off a cheat sheet of what the characters mean.

If you have a bad feeling, walk.

Did you actually see this car? Sounds like you got alot of good detail, at the time I was wondering how you got it all from the info that was on line. I thought I missed something!

Anyway, welcome to the group!
  • No, I spoke with a salesman and he was able to walk me around the car over the phone.
  • Wow good investigating there! Again, Welcome!
  • Don't sweat it! It's a great car...

Enjoy it the way YOU'RE happy with it.

Anton
  • Don't sweat it! It's a great car...

Enjoy it the way YOU'RE happy with it.

Anton
    I agree with Anton. Enjoy the ride.
  • Yup, its hard not to! :)