Getting ready for Winter! Ouch.

edited November 2008 in Feature Mustangs
Hey just wondering how the Northern climate collectors were storing our prized rides this winter? I know it is hard to believe but it is almost time to put them away. Take care. Chet and the gang.

Comments

• Yeah, Since I have never lived outside Texas :lol:,l What all do you northerns have to do? It never gets colder than about 30 degrees here and that is like a blizzard, and god forbid it snows, the entire city will shut down.. Oh well :P
  • I really don't want to think about this but...

There are basically two schools of thought: put it away and don't start it for the entire winter vs. keep it in operating condition and start it once in a while. I've tried both.

Basically if you start it the challenge is to get it warm enough to burn off any condensation that forms from the change in temperature. I always felt that involved more than idling and required getting it on the road for a good 10 miles. The problem with a mid-winter drive is the salt on the roads. Last year, my area moved from sand/salt mixture to using almost exclusively salt.

Lately, I have gone with just storing it. In a nutshell:
    [list]
    [*]clean it inside and out[/*]
    [*]change the oil[/*]
    [*]fill the fuel tank and add stabilizer[/*]
    [*]remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger[/*]
    [*]cover it[/*][/list]
    I found this resource when I was originally looking into what to do: link .
  • Thanks for the advice. We are going with the "parking them for the winter" thing. I will fire them back up in the spring. Cant wait. Take care.
  • I'm lucky in that our winters aren't too bad in Victoria. I can usually get the Mustangs out for a good run every three to four weeks. As long as the roads are dry and any salt has been washed away, I like to enjoy the cars. To that end, all I do is fill the tank to the top, after putting in Sta-bil. I do this at the end of October, and I usually have between 1/4 to 1/2 a tank by April, when I refill the tank again. Been doing this for years. This way I don't suffer withdrawals, and the cars stay in top condition.

[B-)]
  • Yeah luckily here in Texas we NEVER salt the roads, the only rusty cars here are by the coase, Corpus Christy, Port Aransas ect.

Ryan
  • Northern Indiana salts the tar out of our roads. Oh to live in a warmer climate. But we do enjoy it up this was except when the lake effect snow machine cranks up. Take care.
  • Hey Ryan, where in Texas are you from? I am from Victoria. Are you from South Texas? Dennis