Question on rarity of a TWF with no A/C?

edited December 2013 in Feature Mustangs
Anyone every heard of a TWF with no A/C? My 3,400 miles car doesn't have A/C and from everything I can tell it never came with it. I have never ran into a regular 93 5.0 Mustang without A/C so I am thinking this was possibly a one off car.

Anyone know of a way to tell if there were any others produced without A/C? When I bought it a year ago I was confused when I looked under the hood and I was like "something isn't right" but I couldn't put my finger on it. It all made sense when I looked at the HVAC controls and there is no setting for A/C.

Comments

• I have a 92 Feature that is an a/c delete model. I know of 4 features that are a/c delete cars....mine, yours, someone on here has a 93 yellow/black and a yellow/black on yellowmustangregistry.com that is for sale. From what I have found on this site, some 92's had dealer installed a/c versus factory installed. I had a reproduction window sticker done for mine and Mr. White thought it was pretty rare mine was an a/c delete car. I personally like the a/c delete cars because they are different. Where did you find your car? Some one on here once said that they heard 10% of features were a/c delete cars.
  • I actually found this car over a year ago by accident while looking for a nice Fox bodied weekend driver. I was looking for something that had been well taken care of that already had some mods and I could drive around and make fast. What I ended up with was a 3,400 mile car that is bone stock and only take out of the garage so the tires don't flat spot...

It was on craigslist and I just happened to see the ad as soon as it came out and went to look at it on lunch and bought it on the spot. The family who owned it moved to Florida from Boston with no job and had no idea what the hell they had.

The background:

Car was stolen brand new from a Ford dealership when it was brand new and the thieves stole the wheels, seats and the stereo system. It was recovered and first sold/titled in 1996 with 256 miles to the guy who owned it from 96 to the month before I bought it. The Mustang sat from 2000 until November 2007 and didn't move. The guy who owned it for 11 years lost his job and garage and thus sold it to his friend who put in a new battery, drained the gas and got it running. This guy moves to Florida with no job and that is where I came in.

The seats are perfect and correct 93 convertible seats and the only issue is that the pony is missing from the headrests. I had looked for a while for a mint set of correct white ponies but the problem I have is that most of what is out there is used and it is difficult to put a set of 50k mile rims on a car with 3k miles. I finally gave up and bought a brand new set of Motorsport Chrome Ponies which for me are a much more attractive wheel combo for a car that is already very white.

The only thing left is the radio and I have just left a circa 1996 tape deck and polk speakers in the car. It sounds nice and I am still running into the problem of finding a stock radio that is nice enough for the car. I have bought a full 93 stereo set up but just have not installed it becuause it just isn't as almost perfect as the rest of the car.

I am now left with something that is almost too nice and low mile to drive around in and every mile I put on decreases the value. I have came close to start tearing it apart and putting in a 8 point cage w/frame connectors, 5 spd tremec, 3:73's, full exhaust, doing vavle springs & roller rockers and an S-trim. It would make a beautiful mid 12 second car to drive around in but I would be messing up a nice stock car. Problem is I am not the stock Mustang type of guy.

It has been sitting in the garage now for a over a year and I think I am just going to sell it here shortly and free up some money for a new Mustang. It is doing me no good sitting in the garage and only driving around the neighborhood to keep the tires from flat spotting.
  • Anyone every heard of a TWF with no A/C? My 3,400 miles car doesn't have A/C and from everything I can tell it never came with it. I have never ran into a regular 93 5.0 Mustang without A/C so I am thinking this was possibly a one off car.

Anyone know of a way to tell if there were any others produced without A/C? When I bought it a year ago I was confused when I looked under the hood and I was like "something isn't right" but I couldn't put my finger on it. It all made sense when I looked at the HVAC controls and there is no setting for A/C.
    Hey congrats on a rare duck. We have a 93 Yellow feature also without air and I ran into Terry Mccoy who has a registry for the feature cars and some interesting info regarding their production. Our conversation started with the 92 1/2 cars and he indicated that his info had turned up around 10% of the production run were a/c delete cars. I live in NE Indiana and there are 2 92's without air running around our area. As for the 93's he had not yet been able to put his finger on an amount but guessed for conversation sake that his estimate was around 1-2% of production. You must remember that these cars were really "loaded up" with options, for the most part. Power seats, CD players, premium sound and the special paint, wheels and rear wings. Hope this helps or just spurs some conversation.
  • My car's only option is auto transmission...didn't come with convienence group, power seats, eq for stereo, or optional axle ratio. If I could go back 17 years I would order one with no a/c, 5spd, eq and optional axle ratio which was free anyway.
  • If I remember right, the EQ was an option but was on a "delay" or "hold" for the 93 Feature when I ordered mine. Therefore I canceled the EQ. I am not aware of any Feature's that made it out of the factory with an EQ. Anybody here know anything about this? Dennis
  • The EQ option was not availible for 93, just the C/D player and the premium sound system.
  • I am sure glad my car has A/C. It gets really hot down here in Texas :lol:
  • My car's only option is auto transmission...didn't come with convienence group, power seats, eq for stereo, or optional axle ratio. If I could go back 17 years I would order one with no a/c, 5spd, eq and optional axle ratio which was free anyway.

Bringing an old thread back after I was doing a search. My '92 feature is exactly like what you said you would order. It's a factory a/c delete, 5 speed, cassette with graphic equalizer, and optional 3.08 rear gear. Not sure how many out there are like this but I'm gonna say not many. I guess the original selling dealer installed an aftermarket a/c that I have since removed and put back to a/c delete. I bought the hvac controls for an a/c delete car off e-bay and will be installing that at some time. The factory foam that seals the box and the firewall was punctured through for the evaporator. Hopefully I can repair it.

I got a Marti report to confirm all of this. It didn't break down the details of how many are like mine. Wish I knew the production numbers of these cars with options and how my car ranks in options compared to the total number built.
  • My 92 Feature is an a/c delete 5 speed with a dealer installed system. The original owner told me that he had it installed a year after he bought it. About a year ago I decided to remove the a/c and that was a lot of work as I removed every bit of it. I removed the dash to get the evaporator out and changed the heater core while I was at it and was lucky enough to find a good used foam seal and dash controls. The one thing I am not sure about is the brackets that support the condenser, they appear as though they came from the factory as they have yellow paint marks. Does anyone with a/c delete have these brackets on their car? They are located at the bottom of the radiator support.
  • My 92 Feature is an a/c delete 5 speed with a dealer installed system. The original owner told me that he had it installed a year after he bought it. About a year ago I decided to remove the a/c and that was a lot of work as I removed every bit of it. I removed the dash to get the evaporator out and changed the heater core while I was at it and was lucky enough to find a good used foam seal and dash controls. The one thing I am not sure about is the brackets that support the condenser, they appear as though they came from the factory as they have yellow paint marks. Does anyone with a/c delete have these brackets on their car? They are located at the bottom of the radiator support.

I removed everything so far but the evaporator from the dash. I removed the condenser, but I don't remember any marks on the brackets. But my radiator core support had been replaced, so not sure how it would have looked from the factory. Yeah and I have no buck tag either (boy would I love to have it). But my next project is to pull the evaporator and heater core. What was your experience on doing that? Where did you get your heater core replacement? And where did you find a non a/c foam seal? Any info on how to and what not to do would be greatly appreciated.
  • Removing the heater core and evaporator is a lot of work but not hard to do. I decided to just remove the dash, I know it can be done without removing completely but seemed easier to get it out the way. It took a few days to complete but I was in no hurry. I got the heater core from the dealer, still available little pricey but wanted a quality part don't want to repeat that job. Also there is a listing for non a/c and a/c heater cores but after researching I determined that my car had a a/c heater core installed from the factory. As far as the foam seal and dash controls I got lucky and found them on ebay. I would suggest to look north for those parts, dash controls came from Canada and seal from Mich. I had no luck looking down south. The only part that is not Ford is the belt no longer made by Motorcraft although I have seen NOS belts on ebay.