Original Tires

Although my car is the 1990 Limited Edition, I would bet this would apply to all of the Limited Edition Convertibles. Does anyone know for certain which brand of tires were OEM on these cars? I believe it was Goodyear or Michelin, and possibly even BFG.

Thanks.

Comments

• I just checked the 1990 Mustang brochure and it lists "P225/60VR15 unidirectional Goodyear performance tires".

[B-)]
  • tires are also called gatorbacks. the only gatorback still made is 245/45/17zr which came on stangs from 93-2004. Performancepartsinc.com had a set awhile back for $2400 and they sold. There is a market for that tire for the 85/86 5.0 restoration crowd and also for the ssp crowd. Of course you would just want these for shows but the set of 5 for $2400 appeared to be in outstanding shape. These were brand new tires with all factory Goodyear stickers. I believe this was the only tire offered oem with a 5.0 from 85-90 when in 91 they went to pony wheel.
  • I wonder when Coker Tire will start making them.

I received their catalog last month and they have a ton of remakes. I remember seeing those Michelin TRX tires from the early Fox bodies for sale. They were about $350 per tire.

As the Fox's become more collectable I am pretty sure they will make them.
  • Typically, it would be Kelsey to reproduce Goodyear tires. But, there are no plans in the near future for Gatorbacks. Those in the SSP community have been after 15" for a while, but still not enough demand. Flood them with emails.
  • I think I'm going to put the new Eagle GT's on my TWF...

Any thoughts?

Anton
  • The Eagle HP's are the closest match to the original tread pattern of what is offered right now and what most people I know are using. Biggest downside is the "H" speed rating, much harder tire compound than I prefer. It all depends on your usage and driving style. With yours being a '93, the choices are much more plentiful in a 16".