Chrome Pony Wheel Question

edited June 2010 in Feature Mustangs
I read that the chrome pony rims have a vin number stamped on the rim (not sure where) of the car it came from. Is the correct?

I read it on a mustang site and it does not seem correct. Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

Ken

Comments

• I thought I cheat and bring this one up to the most read place on the site to get more exposure. I sometimes forget to look at the Forum listings and miss quite a few messages that have zero reply's.
  • Oh well, it did not work. There must be more active post (let's see if this brings it up!)
  • Nice, it worked!

Sorry all, I need to get a answer on this pretty quick and with no reply's I wanted this up at the most active for all to see.
  • I doubt that Ford would spend that extra time and money to do that. They just gave you a locking lugnut. I know the 1992's dont, I couldnt tell you for sure on the 1993's/
  • I have had 3 sets of factory chrome pony wheels and none had a vin # on them they did however have a Ford part number on them.
  • I have had 3 sets of factory chrome pony wheels and none had a vin # on them they did however have a Ford part number on them.

Thanks....I did not make sense but thought I better ask. I am looking at a set locally tonight and the owner claims they are off a 93 feature. I want to make sure they are real. Was there different part numbers for the ones on the actual 93 feature cars vs. the ones that were available from Ford Performance Parts?

Thanks....I did not make sense but thought I better ask. I am looking at a set locally tonight and the owner claims they are off a 93 feature. I want to make sure they are real. Was there different part numbers for the ones on the actual 93 feature cars vs. the ones that were available from Ford Performance Parts?
    The part number for the chrome center cap is F3zz-1130-c and the part number on the chrome pony wheel is F3zz-1007-F now I dont believe that there would be a difference in part number from the Ford performance catalog. Back in 93 I ordered a set for a 90 GT I owned and they were NOS. The other set came on our 93 Yellow feature and the last set came off a wrecked one. Best of luck.
  • The part number for the chrome center cap is F3zz-1130-c and the part number on the chrome pony wheel is F3zz-1007-F now I dont believe that there would be a difference in part number from the Ford performance catalog. Back in 93 I ordered a set for a 90 GT I owned and they were NOS. The other set came on our 93 Yellow feature and the last set came off a wrecked one. Best of luck.

Thanks for the information. I am looking at a set and if they check out and are pretty clean I am going to buy them, if anything for the tires on the wheels. They guy wants $200 for the set.....I'm thinking a great price if they are what he claims they are.

Well see tonight!
  • Even if they are not NOS that is a great deal. The center caps alone sell for between 75-100 for good ones. Best of luck.
  • Even if they are not NOS that is a great deal. The center caps alone sell for between 75-100 for good ones. Best of luck.

Well, I got the rims They are a little rough, one rim has some nice bubbling of chrome on one of the spokes by the rims edge and the others are just Ok. One has a little pitting again within the spokes and the last 2 actually look pretty good. The faces of the rims are still pretty good. The tires are Goodyear GT+4's with a little tread left. I think I am going to clean them up with some chrome cleaner and put them on my car to see what they look like.

I ended up buying them for $140. The caps are in good shape. 2 are near perfect and the other 2 have little marks where you pop off the cap. I guess after 16 years, one or two mechanics used a screwdriver to pop them off and damage the lip.

After reviewing them closer today, the caps have the Ford logo on the back and there is a different code then what is posted above, FIZC-1A096-AA. There is also the following: Z-2502 then there is C186 E. Lastly each has a sticker, one that looks like a old price sticker from the grocery store that has "Leader Plating".

Are these original Chrome Pony caps?

For the rims, where is the F3zz-1007-F code? In the center rim (inside where the cap covers) they all have different numbers. For Example, one has the following in little boxes: 3-BH-AQ, box 2: 20437, and box 3: F143025. As for the back, I need to clean them up to see if there is anything there.

Are these originals too?

Thanks

Ken
  • I don't know much about chrome ponies and caps but what you are seeing makes sense. F1ZC-1A096-AA is the original part # for pony wheel center caps and was cast into the cap. My white ones have this same part # and a sticker with the modified number for them being white. Same with the wheels - cast into the back you will probably find F1ZC-1007-AA. On the white, a sticker would contain the modified part #. But, obviously on a car that's been driven it's long gone.

It is my understanding that the reason for this is that the standard wheels were sent out for finishing in either white or chrome. The chrome almost didn't happen due to them not being able to find a durable enough finish that could pass the endurance tests and last for the three year warranty. They didn't get it done until the last minute. That's why in some promo pictures you see the yellow feature with the argent wheels.

Anyway, sounds like you got a good deal.
  • Interesting on the warranty thing. I do remember seeing the yellow features in the argent rims. Now it makes sense why I saw that way back when.

As for the rims, I am going to see if I can clean them up. I have been searching the web for suggestions and have from using Brillo pads and chrome polish to, believe it or not, Coke and Aluminium Foil!?!? Now sure about that but what the heck! I have a 2 ltr bottle sitting in the garage collecting dust. We are a diet coke family and bought the regular for some party long ago. Worst case is I feed a few ants in the back yard as I douse a rim!!

If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know!
  • ...We are a diet coke family and bought the regular for some party long ago. Worst case is I feed a few ants in the back yard as I douse a rim!!

If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know!

Make sure to take some before and after pics...we have the chrome ponies in beautiful shape for their age, we'd be interested in finding out how ya made out!! :)
  • Cobra2top - did you ever have any luck finding any part numbers etc on the chrome ponies you bought? Did the coke and foil cleaning method work?

I bought 3 chrome ponies and 4 center caps off of craigslist last night for $100 The center caps are definitely the Ford ones. 2 are in good shape, 2 have chips where you pop them off the wheel. I am pretty sure one chrome wheel is a Ford one but I am not sure about the other 2. The one that I think is Ford has numbers on the front side near the lug nut holes and is in far better condition color wise. The other two have become quite discolored.

You are right, I have 4 original and 1 aftermarket, no vin# on original, and no part No# on the aftmkt, at a glance they look just a like. On the aftmkt the center cap fits a little loose, but that can be adjusted, the other thing is the spoke hole, I guess you would call it that, is a little smaller, if I remember right by a 1/4 inch. So far no one has been able to tell which one it is. One wheel had the chrome peeling off, I think it was a replacment rim off another car when something happened to the Org, the other 3 where in great shape. Last I saw NOS were $1200 ea, the aftmkt was $250 with shipping on Ebay.
    Jerry