This is why that wheel sale at NPD is a GREAT deal....

edited October 2005 in Feature Mustangs
After seeing this crazy price on ebay I think $339 delivered is very nice indeed....
[B-)]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW

Comments

• I'm glad I didn't pay $535 plus shipping. :)

Now, how about some shiny new center caps for your new wheels.

Fellow feature car owner Kevin told me about these. Now, the price is no bargain at $44.95 each, but, I cannot recall ever seeing these for sale as new OEM parts.

link

The site uses frames so I can't link directly to them. On the page you link to, select "Wheels/brakes" and then "O.E.M.-Replacement Center Caps and Lug Nuts".

Also, it doesn't say which white (Opal Pearlescent or Performance White) so you should ask.
  • Sorry guys, tried that one already. Was on the phone with everyone in the tech department for an hour until finally someone answered who said that the caps are "on national backorder". He explained to me that this means they will no longer carry these. Didn't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I've been looking myself since I sold my new set last year thinking I would never find new rims, and what was the point of having nice caps on OK rims. What an idiot I was.
  • Thanks for that information, 93trplwhtpony. It will save the rest of us from spending a similar amount of time on the phone with them.
  • Thanks for the tip on the wheels. I just ordered 4. Only about 20 remaining. What a deal.
  • I am the one who sold the wheels on ebay. I developed an intense interest in the Triple White cars after buying the wrecked one. My son saw the "Blowout" ad in Mustang Times (limited circulation and small print). I immediately ordered a set and was well pleased. I waited over a month and then put them on ebay with a very high reserve to see what they would bring. They didn't meet the reserve, so I waited a while and relisted with a lower reserve. At that time, I purchased another set and they still had over 80 wheels left.
    To make a long story shorter, I still have a set of the wheels plus I was able to use 3 of the wheels from the wreck plus 1 new one on my '84 1/2 Anniversary car.
    I still have a few parts from the wreck, including the seats and some of the side trim.
    Thanks for letting me ramble. My son and I are into the collectible Fox bodies, including 2 '84 1/2 Anniversary cars including a T-Top V8 5 speed, an '81 T-Top Coupe, an '84 GT Turbo, and a '95 GTS.
  • I suspect that we will see others for sale on ebay in the near future. In fact, I spotted this a couple of days ago:

link

I bet those wheels look nice on your 84 1/2! This forum allows pictures to be posted. How about one? You will have to reduce the size to less than 50k, though.
  • The car looks great with the wheels. I do think that all "Pony 5s " were 16". Correct me if I'm wrong.
    When I ordered the first set of wheels, I talked to a very knowledgable salesperson who told me that NPD was in Detroit to buy '47 up Ford truck parts and the Mustang parts, including the wheels were part of the lot.
    How lucky can you get?
  • Yes, as far as I know all Ford OEM Pony wheels were 16". That seller added a correction to his auction to say that the wheels were really 16", not 17".

MavroMont sells aftermarket Pony wheels in a 17" x 8" size. Their site says they come in chrome and silver but if you browse through their photo galleries they display some in white, like these
  • Yes, as far as I know all Ford OEM Pony wheels were 16". That seller added a correction to his auction to say that the wheels were really 16", not 17".

MavroMont sells aftermarket Pony wheels in a 17" x 8" size. Their site says they come in chrome and silver but if you browse through their photo galleries they display some in white, like these

John, I spoke with one of the guys at Mavromont a few months ago about the 17" Ponies. Much to my chagrain, he said they had stopped producing them at that time because it was hard to compete with all the cheap ebay wheels. Because they are produced in the USA with top quality materials and workmanship, they are unable to price them competitively.

He told me to check back with him in the future, but at that time they had no plans to resume production. :(

Maybe if there is enough interest, they will start making them again. I would love to be able to go to 17's and still keep stock appearance.

Sue
  • Thanks for the information Sue.

It's a shame they no longer make them. It would be cool to have 17" wheels. The change would be so subtle that most people wouldn't notice.

I have had a link to their site for a while and will keep it. Let's hope they get enough interest to start producing them again.
  • Sorry guys, called NPD to get another set of the rims since I found 2 new sets of caps. I know, I'm having Feature Car issues [8-}]. Sorry to report that I purchased the last 4 rims that they have according to Steve. Sorry, don't mean to hoard, but we may never find these again.
  • Hello. I thought I would take a moment to let you all know that we are gearing up for December production of our 17" Pony R wheels. You can read more about that at our http://www.ponyr.com website. These are the same great wheels available in more sizes at slightly better pricing.

I would also like to ask that if anyone is interested in obtaining a set, you please fill out our survey at http://go.antnet.com/ponyR/PonyR_Survey.php. This will help us make sure we have your interested sizes and colors available. Currently, we will have the 17x8" and 17x9" sizes available in Chrome and Argent. There has been some response to our survey for the white, but not enough to offer that color in our initial production run. We need about 45 more people interested in the white. This white is the '93 color white, not the '92 pearl white.

TripleWhiteFox, thank you for letting us reply to this thread.
  • Thanks Demetrio. It's good to hear that you are starting to offer them again.

I have no problem with you posting here especially since you were a topic of discussion. Thanks for doing it responsibly by providing valuable information and not an advertisement.

Actually, I think it's such good info. that I added a blurb about it to my main Mustang page since not everyone finds this forum. I hope you generate enough interest to make it worthwhile.

John
  • Wow, this is great!! :) They are also offering more widths than before!!

I am definitely interested in a set and hope there is enough interest for them to manufacture white wheels...

I submitted a survey, I hope anyone else who is interested does the same.

Sue [B-)]