Introduction

I've been on the site for a while but only got my '93 in the last two weeks so here goes...

I looked at two Trip Whites last year but I need to sell my '66 coupe before I could buy another Mustang. I have personally seen only 4 trip whites in Oklahoma and of those 4 only 2 have been for sale....

The first car I had looked at about 7 months ago. At that time it had less than 27000 miles with the provenance to back it up. It was absolutely cherry accept for one bad fender that had been scraped in a drive way backing out incident. We negotiated over this one but could not come to a price. The owner felt that if he got the car fixed he could sell if for much more. I advised him to go ahead w/ the work but to call me first when it was done.

So, he put it in the shop and the paint must have been on a slow boat from China. It took about 10 weeks before I heard back. The owner called and said he wanted 8,000 for the car (I had previously offered 4000 w/ the damage). I told the guy that it broke my heart to turn it down because 8,000 was a fair offer but that same week the timing chain in my daily driver broke and trashed the head. I was out a lot of $$$ for that repair and I just could not take on another car at that time. I was so distraught over loosing this one that I deleted the guys emails and lost his phone numbers so I would not be reminded of the loss.

Fast fwd to two weeks ago and I sold my '66 and was flush with cash. I called a guy in Oklahoma City that had a trip white with 65000 miles that I had also looked at last year. He had just re-listed the car on CL and it was gone. He got $4500 for it the day he put the add up. So on a lark I decided to drive out to the other guys house that had the low mile trip white w/ the bad fender. Luckily I remembered how to get to his house and asked if he still had the car. He said "Good news and bad news". Yes, he still had the car but his little sister had just driven it into a ditch the week prior. No major damage but a lot of paint. The rocker panel and one fender splat need to be replaced. Also the AC compressor clutch was bad and the car was filthy. The seats were almost black with grime.

So, we did the dance again. He wanted 8000 but realised that w/ the damage he would never get that. He went down to 7k, and then 6k and finally 5k. It's a shame because if not for the 'new' damage I might have given almost 8k for it but I decided to go back to my original offer last summer and offered 4k. I explained to him that he already had one repair in the car and if he got it fixed again, even at 8000 he would not be any better off so after a day to sleep on it we finally landed on $4250 and I drive it home the next day.

The first order of business was a thorough detail. Once all the mud and grime were off I found that the car car was in much better condition than I thought. The top looks brand new and the interior cleaned up nicely. The carpet looks like its never been stepped on and the original mats were just as good (but I did buy a set of NOS mats last week for shows). I had the cats removed and put on an O/R H pipe and flowmasters. I drove it around for a few days as it tipped 30k miles. Replaced the compressor clutch, changed out EVERY fluid, changed the spark plugs, PCV and breather, and put in a K&N filter. Did a FI service and now the car runs like a champ (but I still only get 15mpg and I don't use any ethanol). Subframe connectors and 1 replacement wheel are on the way. I have an apt w/ my paint and body guy to put the car in the shop at the end of April. Est is about 1500 - 2000 and we are going to virtualy paint the entire car. All in all w/ the parts and labour for everything I should be into the car for about 8500 when it's all done.

Right now my daughter and I are taking turns driving it until she gets her own car, then it goes back to being a garage queen. My wife also has a '96 vert and I have a '65 Chevy stepside. I'm looking for a good deal on a '92 feature car now.

We are members of the Green Country Classic Mustangs.