AC issues

My ac compressor has been whining since I bought the car 2 years ago. So since I am planning on driving it to Carlisle I wanted to get the issue taken car of. I am concerned it might seize up and strand me. The problem is finding the correct parts. It seems that my car has dealer installed AC and not factory installed. Once I got that figured out, I ordered the parts with some help of the manager at Napa. The local Ford dealer was clueless. Now it turns out that the mustang shop that is working on the car thinks the dealer installed AC parts from 92 not 93 even though though the car is a 93. Parts are going back today and hopefully getting the correct parts. I am getting a little nervous since Carlisle is a week away. Has anyone had any experience with this? Another option might be bypassing the AC all together if I can get the correct belt to do this.

Comments

• My 7-Up has dealer-installed air. If yours is the same as mine, the a/c compressor runs off a short belt on a slave pulley from the serpentine. If necessary, you should be able to take the short belt off and bypass the compressor that way.

I hope my explanation makes sense.
  • Thanks for the reply Steve! That is helpful and in fact that is what ended up happening. The AC is now bypassed so I can drive the car. I am relieved. I am also thinking that it might stay that way too. Now the guys the worked on the car think the whole thing was aftermarket.
  • Mine is definitely a Ford dealer installed system. The parts counter person at the local dealer checked it out and confirmed it. The a/c compressor sits below the p/s pump and runs off a small pulley which was added to the car. Don't be too quick to believe the guys at the Mustang shop. The dealer installed systems are not that common, so people tend to not know what they are.
  • I honestly don't know what to think. The manager at Napa thinks the same thing as the mustang shop. The local Ford dealership is clueless. I think I might end up taking it to another Ford dealership at some point. I am just happy I can drive it now. Thanks for the info!
  • I honestly don't know what to think. The manager at Napa thinks the same thing as the mustang shop. The local Ford dealership is clueless. I think I might end up taking it to another Ford dealership at some point. I am just happy I can drive it now. Thanks for the info!
    Hey I was just wondering? Is your car an automatic or 5-speed?
  • If you want to look at your compressor and see if you can find any id or a name, I would be happy to check mine to see if they are the same. This might at least be a chance for you to know if yours is a dealer install or not.

I had planned on removing mine, until I found out it is a Ford dealer install.
  • Twocartnuts - its an automatic

Thanks Steve... I will take a look and let you know.
  • I was able to find a sticker on it that had this number SD 709 on it and Ford in small letters. So I guess that means its Ford dealer installed?
  • Yes! Makes you feel a little better about it being there, doesn't it. :)
  • Twocartnuts - its an automatic

Thanks Steve... I will take a look and let you know.

So it was originally an A/C delete car. What kind of stereo and power options does it have ie: windows, door locks?
  • Yes, it does Steve. I feel like I am making progress. Thank you!

TCN - power windows and door locks, I am not sure about the radio - when I bought the car it came with the ford radio with cd player - however the person I bought it from said he installed that himself. So then I bought a brand new old stock cassette radio that I think the car came with ( per this website door sticker decoding) and installed that. I still have the cd player but it acts crazy.
  • Id like to see a picture of the aftermarket Ford one. Got one?
  • I will try to get a picture up. The compressor is currently not on my car.