Another Newbie, but I've been visiting, many times over the past couple of years

Here we go!

Well, I am finally signing up and I will be registering my cars in the near future.

I currently own a few Mustangs. I have owned at least one Mustang throughout my life at one time or another beginning in the early 1980s. I got "hooked" when I drove my brother's (box-y looking as I called it) 1967 Mustang Coupe home for him in about 1980 or so. I WAS HOOKED!

I have owned all kinds of classic Mustangs since that time, from a "K"-Code project Mustang Fastback to TWO Export classic Ford T-5s (a 1965 project Mustang export car and a 1968 project Mustang export car).

I currently own a 1966 289-2V Mustang. I own 3 1990 7-Up Mustang convertibles. I own a 1992 Feature Mustang convertible, that I purchased from a gentleman in Sanford Florida in December of 2009. I am now awaiting delivery on the "new-to-me" 1993 canary yellow Feature Mustang, that I purchased "long-distance" from a CraigsList ad (and CraigsList warns about long-distance sales scams, the nerve of them).

I first found out about the 1992 and 1993 Feature convertibles while searching for parts for my first 7-Up convertible. I wound up at one time owning 4 7-Up convertibles at one time, all from searching for parts for a "rebuild titled" 7-Up car.

When I first started looking for a 1992 Feature convertible all of the cars that I was finding were wa-a-ay out of my price range so I figured I would find one some day.

I stumbled across the ad my 1992 Feature convertible was listed in on Orlando Florida's CraigsList site. I clicked on an ad titled "1992 Red Ford Mustang LX, 5.0 still for sale - $x,xxx.xx" and the ad had no picture in it. I searched the site by the gentleman's phone number and found the ad with the picture in it.

I couldn't believe what I was looking at! It was a 1992 5-Speed Feature convertible, and what a price! I called the guy and there was a long line of people already coming to look at it. Well all that week I called and by the middle of the week the man would answer the call "Hi Len, how are you doing?" From all of the nit-pickers looking the car over this man gave me a description of his car that sounded real grim. Anyway I told him that I wasn't concerned about the condition of the car at all, if the car has the Buck Tag behind the driver's side headlight with the word FEATURE imprinted in it the car was sold to me, if nobody else had purchased it from him by the time I could get there that next Saturday. When I called him on Thursday he said "good news, the tag is there and it has the word FEATURE in it". I told him I would be there Saturday if nobody bought it from him on Friday. I told him I would pay his asking price for it, NO NEGOTIATING. He then told me he really didn't want his asking price for the car and that he would take less. He also told me that as of that day, Thursday, he had stopped taking calls on the car until I could get to see it.

I did some "cash-advancing" and other creative financing and was at his door on 08:00 a.m. Saturday December 19th 2009, with his asking price in hand, and my 1968 F100 pickup, towing my tow dolly behind it. After looking the car over (and seeing the Buck Tag) I paid him for it and I asked he and his brother for assistance rolling it to my tow-dolly. As I was loading it onto the tow dolly with my come-a-long and chain he returned $360.00 to me from the asking price that I paid him for the car. I argued with him that he was unemployed and needed the money more than I did, but he refused to take it back.

After getting the car home, and having my son-in-law come by to help me push it into the yard, it took me about two hours to diagnose the problem with the car and I had it running.

Well, as a true Mustang collector (fanantic?), and a Fox Body Mustang convertible fan as well I still wasn't happy with what I own because there was this bi-i-ig empty spot at my house waiting for the "right" canary yellow 1993 Feature convertible, at the right price, of course.

I actually started looking back in January of 2010 with the first one right here close to home, but, toooooooo much for my measley budget. After months and months of searching, I found a couple, and went to look at and test-drive one at Regal Used Cars in Lakeland Florida. The car had fenders, hood and bumper cover replaced on it and a slight ripple in the passenger inner tower. All Regal was asking was the low SALE price of $10,990.00. I decided one of these cars would surely have to wait a while.

A $2,000.00 or best offer car in Jacksonville Florida had a 1988 VIN in the windshield and a 1993 title. I passed on that one for sure!

All I could find was high-dollar cars. The few I found in Georgia and Tennessee that were priced under $5,000.00 sold pretty fast. One even sold or traded to one person in Tennessee who resold it a week or two later.

I got tired of looking at the same old ads time and again. I decided to try a new search engine, or one I hadn't used in a while. I got on Lycos and put in the search box the words YELLOW MUSTANG FOR SALE CRAIGSLIST. Lycos found ads for all kinds of yellow Mustangs, from 1960s Mustangs through 2006 or so Mustangs.

As I was going through page after page of ads I HIT MY GOLDMINE (or should I say my Canary Yellow Prize)! I hit on an ad out west and of all things when the gentleman selling the car and I got to talking he had remembered me contacting him in August of 2010 before I went to Lakeland to test drive the car at Regal Used Cars. We talked on several occasions, and the concern about sight-unseen bothered me, but the price was a good one.

I told the seller that I would do some checking into transportation fees to Florida from his home town and I would see what I could do about getting the money together to pay his asking price. I asked for pictures and he sent many. I told him I would see what I could do in the field of "creative financing" to allow me to purchase the car from him and have it brought here by truck.

Well, things moved along a lot faster than I had figured they would. I spoke to the credit union loan officer last week and by the end of that day I had the loan for the car and most of the transportation charges.

The deposit and balance were paid to the seller last week by two overnight letters delivered very reasonably by the U.S. Postal Service. When the seller received the balance due he told me the car would be ready for shipping on Wednesday December 8th 2010. I called the transport company and put the car on the pickup schedule.

I sent an ovenight pre-paid envelope with each payment for the car so the seller could return acknowledgements of the transaction to me at no cost to him. The seller sent the title and notarized bills of sale to me and I received them on Saturday December 11th 2010.

As of this afternoon my newest acquisition is NOW in route to Florida.

Anyway, I will be registering all of my Limited Edition Mustangs in the next few weeks.

Comments

• Sounds like a nice Christmas gift to yourself. Congrats on your find.
  • What an awesome story, and what a beautiful picture on that trailer.

I'm impressed--you're a triple white away from the quadri-fecta (7up, 92, canary yellow, TW). Although, sounds like you may also need Mustang Buyer's anonymous--as in "can't turn away from a good mustang." I'm a fellow sufferer.
  • Hi Len. I see that you are still acquiring! Glad to hear that you are still enjoying the 7-Ups. Which one did you sell? I hang out over here at Triplewhite on occasion. I consider it a sister site to my Registry. Lots of great info over here!
  • Thanks to all for the greetings and kind words!

I actually hit on an ad for a Triple White for around $2,500.00 that had seats in it that looked like red 1984 & 1/2 GT350 seats. I still have a copy of the CraigsList ad for the Triple-White around here somewhere which I believe has the phone number in the listing. I don't believe the owner sold that one. It was advertised here in Florida. I was tempted to go the Triple-White Feature car direction when all I was able to locate in the canary yellow cars were priced out of my ability to afford loan payments or use my savings and credit card "cash advance" capabilities to purchase.

Steve, I sold the car I called 7-Up #1, the one with the Rebuilt Florida title. I do not recall the registry number on that one because I gave the documentation to the purchaser. He actually purchased the car to pull the drivetrain and wiring for a 1967 "resto-mod" Cougar project he had.

I have 7-Up #2, 7-Up #3 and 7-Up #4, or registry # 186, # 188 and # 187 here now. I bought # 187 as a parts car for my others, and I am considering moving it out of here too, after I take what I want off of it, in the near future. The thing I think is neat is 7-Up #2 and 7-Up #4 are 7 digits off from one another in consecutive production numbers as well. 7-Up #4 has last 6 digits 157770 in it and 7-Up #2 has last 6 digits 157777 in it.
  • Great story. Would like to see pictures of the "herd" all together if you have one.
  • My new acquisition arrived tonight! I couldn't have been more fortunate than I have been with finding this car!

I have a "group photo" from when I had the 4 7-Up convertibles here at one time. I will have to work on corraling all of these Mustangs into one area so I can snap a picture of them to post here.
  • Nice! Congrats on the purchase and smooth delivery.
  • Hey another big Congrats on the find!
  • Ok, I have been a bit lazy until today. I grouped the four Limited Edition convertibles together in a corner of the backyard and snapped some pictures. Here are a couple of those pictures.
  • Nice lineup!