looked under your batery lately?

edited December 2010 in Feature Mustangs
I did. I've got a 2006 Taurus that still had the original Motorcraft battery and since I was changing out my battery cables on the trip white I decided to swap the batteries at the same time.

So, I got the cover off the solenoid and airbag wiring. Pretty gross underneath. My engine is very clean but I guess this cover had never been moved so there was a lot of gunk under that. The real crud was under the battery. It looks like the overflow vent on the overflow bottle is right above the edge of the tray so if your radiator is too full and it burps some coolant out of the overflow tank it goes right into the battery tray. I had about 2 cups of coolant puddled in the bottom of the tray and a whole lot of mud.

So now I have to remove the battery try to give it a proper cleaning. Glad I did. Once it was out I had good access to clean parts of the engine bay that have never seen the light of day. Detailed the solenoid and air bad wiring guts, inner fenders, frame rails and everything else that I could get to w/ the tray out. The tray attaches with three bolts, two in the inner fender and one in the frame rail. Since the tray rest on the frame rail I opted to not put in the lower bolt. Now if any coolant does flow into the tray it has an escape route from the tray directly to the ground. I could have drilled some weep holes in the try but I figured since the tray sits on the frame rail and the bat is heavy enough to weigh it down not putting in the bottom bolt should not be a big deal. I did put in the bat hold down bold and chock.

Now I have a Motorcraft bat, clean new cables, a more detailed engine bay. Also installed a new air deflector at the same time.

We are supposed to have good weather on Thu so then I'll move on to new door weatherstrip and ashtray door fix. Love having the last two weeks of the year off.

Comments

• Sort of off subject, My F150 still has the original motorcraft battery in it from new, back in Aug 1995. Hard to beat original equipment.