Are your center side moldings still truly white?

edited February 2005 in Feature Mustangs
My senter side moldings (fender, door, qt panel) seem to have yellowed ever so slightly. Try as I might, elbow grease and polish/wax-cleaner does not seem to bring them back. Are these moldings painted or molded in color? Any suggestions?

Comments

• The moldings on mine are also discolored. I, like you, have tried various methods to clean them, but to no avail.

When I bought the car, I had to replace a front fender, and I just repainted the molding along with the fender.

It's been about a year and the painted moldings still look fine.

Sue

ps. TeamTruett, one question, is your birthdate correct?
  • The moldings are molded in either grey or black, we just restored a yellow limited and put all nos moldings on the car and had to paint them all. A friend of mine just did a white feature and had to do the same thing.
  • I purchased a totalled '93 Triple White Feature Car and have been parting it out and selling on ebay. Sorry, there was no way to fix this car or I would have. I tried to buy it before it was wrecked, but was turned down. I wanted it really bad because it was a 1 owner car and I knew the history of the car.
    I cleaned the side moldings with Clorox Cleanup and 409 and got amazing results. They match the paint on what is left on the rest of the car.
  • ps. TeamTruett, one question, is your birthdate correct?

Maybe that is his car's birthday!

My side moldings are also slightly yellowed. Worse, the one on my passenger's side has lost its paint on the top edge. The one on the driver's side is fine.

At first I thought it might be due to environmental damage but now I am thinking it was caused by someone who was too aggressive with a buffer and burned the paint right off. A corner on my spoiler has a burn through to the black underneath.

What is exposed is off white (maybe even lt. gray) in color and has a tendency to pick up dirt and yellow far more than the rest. I clean it with Meguiars Show Car Glaze and/or Swirl Remover. When clean, it becomes barely noticeable to the casual observer. You can see it in the picture where it looks worse than it actually is. The flash really makes it look bad.

• Maybe that is his car's birthday!

Lol...You are probably right...never thought of that! :D

Sue
  • Thats my cars birthday, Im a little older, give or take a decade. Those pics look just like my molding, yellowed at the top more. Ill try the 409/Clorox (when the temp in the garage is a bit warmer, NY)