Oil pressure guage

edited April 2011 in Feature Mustangs
Where does the needle sit on your oil pressure gauge?

I just changed my oil and used 5qt of Motorcraft 10W-30 and FL1A filter but now my pressure reads low. The needle hovers around the M or A on the gauge.

I never really paid attention to it before but I'm pretty sure it was closer to the middle of the gauge. I've only got 30k miles so I don't think it a worn pump or other major issue. This is the first time I've used a Motorcraft filter and I've read that the pleats in the Motorcraft unit are tightly packed and might restrict flow.

Comments

• My pressure reads around the "m" at city speeds. It gets down to the "a" when the oil gets hot. My car has almost 93,000 km (approx 57,000 miles) on it. I use a Motorcraft filter and GTX Syntec 10/30 oil.
  • Mine runs just above the M covering part of the R. I have over 94,000 miles on mine. At 80,000 when I did my engine mods I noticed the oil pressure sender was seeping so I replaced it. At that time my O/P was setting on the M. I did not do anything to the lower end except a camshaft swap.

I have always run Motorcraft filters when possible. My Dodge truck hasn't had any other filter on it, bought it new and now have 145,000 miles on it. It has also had only Vavoline 5W30 synthetic since 10,000 miles. My Feature because of the high spring rates on the valves which is hard on camshafts, I run 5W40 Rotella synthetic.

I also replaced the coolant temp sender at that time and that gauge seems to be reading a little more accurate now.

My wifes 09 Mustang I treat just like the truck.
    JB
  • (M)ine (A)lso
  • (M)ine (A)lso
    :D

Just checked mine tonight after an oil change. Solidly on the "R".

I seem to have a vague memory that oil pressure gauges on these cars are not that consistent. I had one replaced under warranty once long ago. The replacement was more consistent but I still doubted it was providing valuable information beyond that, yes, I have oil pressure.