Sold the 92 Feature Tonight............

edited June 2011 in Feature Mustangs
First I want to thank everyone on this site!! This site has been a great community for me over the years. I have been a member since 2005 and at the time I only signed up as I was looking at a yellow feature and wanted to learn as much as I could about the car. That car had fallen through and I quietly disappeared as plans changed and a Mustang would have to wait.

Fast forward to early 2007, and I am back in the buying a Mustang faze and find a nice but in need of some work 92 Feature with the 2 option I required, 5 speed and red paint! I do a little Google search and find this site "again". I typed in my standard cobra2top ID and it takes it!!!! I forgot I signed up a few years back but I am searching and trying to learn as much as I could about the Features before I meet the seller. I learned about the buck tag, and sure enought there it was. Discovered the car had a headliner, check, so did this car! Wing, check! Red mirror, check! I have a real feature in front of me!!!!

I make the deal and off to the races. That first year some of you may remember I was the only Feature with it's top down at Carlisle. I had the car for only a few months and besides a Zaino waxing, did not do anything. The top was torn, the seats were ripped, but she sat there in all of her glory with the parade boot hiding the top and a well postioned white duck tape to hold the seat leather down so it looks a little presentable. I had been to shows in the past. My ID "Cobra2top" is due to the fact that I had a 1995 Cobra convertible with the hardtop option. One of 499 ever made. Sold it due a expanding family and this was my first time back showing a car in years. All I can say is that of all of the shows I participated in, the TWF group was the best group of people to hang out with!! Everyone is so knowledgeable and has such a passion for these cars. Originally I planned to come in for the day and head back home to NJ. I did not plan a hotel so I thought I would enjoy Friday and then call it. Ended up driving back and forth between NJ and Carlisle Friday, Saturday and Sunday!!!! That weekend I put more miles on the car then I had the rest of the years of ownership!!

As the years went on, I would get a hotel with my brother, nephew, and my son would make Carlisle the "guys weekend, no girls allowed!" as my son would say. He was 3 when he went to his first car show and was hooked. Some of you who did attend Carlisle may remember they were the ones with the Triplewhitefox shirts on cleaning the car each year. They both had a great time hanging with each other and talking cars. I can offically say both are car guys! We all have great memories from those shows and want to thank John for pulling us all together and making those weekends so much fun......even on those few shows where it was 1000 degrees! That tent was a life saver!!!

As for the reason to sell, my son and I were at a local car show late last year and we parked next to a 1965 289 Coupe. The car was a 2 owner and 100% original. He let my son sit in the back seat (he is now 6) and he was hooked. He has been asking if our next car can be a "old one". I always like the 64.5-66 body style, actually my dad had a 64.5 new and we have picture of me as a baby sitting in that car (maybe that explains my Mustang obsession!)

Anyway, it just felt like the time is right to try something a little different. We took the Feature from something that needed some TLC to a car that IMO is nicely improved. It is time to let someone else enjoy the car while I have the satisfaction that we put our stamp on it and took good care of it while we "borrowed it" for the owners to come.

The best part is that this really is just a hobby for my son and I, and it is really special to be able to share it with him. I hope that his passion continues as it has for me all of these years. We are on the look for our next project, possibly a 66 as they seem to be reasonable enough. We together searched Ebay tonight just getting ideas of colors he likes and options I want (some reto mods have 5.0's with T-5's!! Could be a interesting option!). I am also still keeping a few other cars on the list and getting opinions from him. A yellow feature he ranked #2 (no we will not be with the YMC at Carlisle!!!), and a dark horse, a low mile cobra2top just showed up.........the hunt begins!!!

The great news concerning 92 is the new owner is a Mustang guy. He is actually local and a friend so the best part is that we will still see it from time to time. He offered to give my son a ride any time he wants. He may want to re-think that because I see him taking advantage of that offer (but how can I blame him, it is a fun ride!!) He already has been on this site and is going to sign up and become a active member. Look for his introduction real soon!!

Thanks to all of you for making this ownership experience so great!!!! John, a special thank-you for providing such a nice community for all to enjoy! This site made my ownership very special and I appreciate all of your hard work!

ENJOY THE RIDE!!!! :)

Comments

• Ken, thanks for sharing this with us. It is truly a great story how you brought your car back to show car glory.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that you are an asset to this community. Your contributions have been tremendous. Speaking personally, I have benefited from the dialog we have had for the past five years. It seems like it was just yesterday when we first met.

We have had a lot of great conversations via email ranging from the gritty details of maintaining our cars to the more philosophical aspects of ownership. You prepped me for my first Carlisle experience and I remember you as one of the first people with which I had an in-depth conversation there back in 2007.

I hope you continue to visit here and check in often. We have a General Mustang discussion when you are ready to share the details about a new ride. The great thing about this is that others here have owned or do own Mustangs of many model years.
  • Ken! I hope you get back into the Feature Crowd. I have great memories of that first carlisle show I went to with my stang not long after purchasing it and then I met you and John. Good fun times. Your car was, and still is, an inspiration of how I'd like to have mine some day.

Stick around and visit us often!
  • Thanks guys!! I really enjoyed "hanging" both here and at Carlisle. I would start the Carlisle planning back in the deep cold of December. It was a nice little diversion between shoveling snow and thinking of warmer days.

Even though this year I missed the trip, I still plan on participating next year with the boys. Even if I am without a Mustang (hope not!!), it is always a great time.