Fox Body Mustang Dash Speakers (right size and Ford OEM too)

I was recently in a wrecking yard just searching around for parts for my cars, AM/FM/CD Players, AM/FM/Cassettes, speakers, window motors, nuts, bolts and anything else I could find. While in a Ford Aerostar looking around I looked into the back of the mini-van and lo-and-behold I see two small round speakers in the rear tailgate. They looked exactly like the dash speakers in the Fox Body Mustang dash corners. Since I had no dash speakers to compare them to I removed them and walked over to a Fox Body Mustang in the yard. The Aerostar speaker fit in the hole in the front dash perfectly! The pigtails in the wrecking yard Mustang dash were cut off so I couldn't compare the ends to see if they were a match. I took a chance and bought them and took the harness end of the plugs on the speakers in case I needed them.

I got home and wouldn't you know, the connectors were wrong! Drat, and I am NOT a "cut and splice" person if I can help it. I was going to have to resort to doing this though if I wanted to install these in place of bad OE speakers.

NOT SO FAST!

I have a co-worker whose wife's 1997 Taurus quit running. I decided to help him with it after he shelled out about $200.00 trying to fix it himself and having others help him and not getting anywhere with it. On the Friday before Memorial Day of this year I was at a wrecking yard pulling parts (anything electronic that I could get) off of several Taurus and Sable vehicles to see if we could get the car running. As I was pulling parts from one Taurus I noticed Ford installs small speakers on the doors of some of these cars right on the back side of the door mirrors. When I pulled the door panel on the car what do I find but the Female mate to the Mustang dash pigtail connector on the Taurus harness where the little door speaker plugs into the Taurus door harness.

If you need to replace the dash speakers in your Mustang, prefer using OE Ford parts, can't find good dash speakers in Mustangs in wrecking yards anywhere, and want a reasonable substitute here is what I found you can use. Get the speakers out of the tailgate of an Aerostar with the harness pigtail end on them, get the Mustang female mate pigtails from a Taurus (oh yes, or Mercury Sable) with upper door speakers, make a "jumper conversion plug" by connecting the harness end of the Aerostar harness with the Taurus harness end, plug the jumper into the Mustang harness and the Aerostar tailgate speaker plug and your're ready to go!

Oh yes, and my co-worker's wife's car is back on the road now too! That problem was a small electronic box connected to the back of the fuse panel.

Comments