Build sheets (once again)

edited August 2011 in Feature Mustangs
This week I found out some interesting news on build sheets. You might remember these as the document you could get for free through Ford Customer Service that detailed the original factory options for your car. These are also referred to as History 999 reports.

I have to credit noac for pointing me to a discussion on foureyedpride.com

Apparently, the way to get a build sheet is now through the shopfordgear.com website and is now for a fee. This site is run by Helm.

There are two versions of the report, Basic and Deluxe, with the Deluxe adding production figures. The price difference is ~$30. So, in order to investigate this, I ordered the Deluxe for $46. It states:
Item is shipped from manufacturer and may take additional time for delivery. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
It will be interesting to see how this compares to the free one that I have. I'm reserving my opinion on this until I see the final product. I'll be sure to document this experience. I'm most interested to see exactly what production figures they will provide.

Comments

• The last time I requested this letter from Ford it was still free. That was Dec 2009 and was for my 68 Coupe. I already have one for my 7-Up Car. Are they no longer available from Ford Customer Service?

Please keep us posted John.
  • I just received one from ford 30 days ago for free. Please post the one you get. The one I got had no reference to mine being a feature other than the white paint and top reference. I matched the date of the bulid along with the vin to my buck tag and everything matches up there. I wonder why on the 92's they list them as Limited and not the 93's?
  • Where'd you get yours Rdrink?
  • the 1800 ford #
  • the 1800 ford #
    No dice. I called them and was referred to shopfordgear.com

John--FWIW, The image on the website looks pretty similar to what I've seen people show before. I'm curious about the deluxe one, b/c for 30 bucks more it looks like all you get is total # mustangs produced that year, convertibles, and probably how many were triple white.

I'm curious b/c it always seem that the '92 production numbers are debated---"somewhere in the 2200 range." Curious to see what Ford says, but the basic package sounds like a better deal.
  • Wow I have one dated 5-28-11. They must have just started to charge. Like stated before lets hope they have the correct info if they are starting to charge for it!
  • Mine is on the way. I'm sort of doing this to be the guinea pig. I don't have high hopes that it will be worth the $$$ or be more accurate nor informative.

So far, the experience is the same as the old, free way. I received a call from the Ford Research Department. I missed the actual call but the message was that my sheet is being mailed out shortly.
  • Today I received my build sheet. Here it is:

BuildSheet2.jpg

For reference, here was the free one I received a few years ago:

fordLetter_small_thumb.jpg

They are really not all that different. But, still, it might be fun to pick the differences apart. The most shocking thing is just how little the extra $29 bought me with the "deluxe" version.

52,151 2-Door Sedans Produced
    62,077 3-Door Sedans Produced

It is widely known that 62,077 is the number of 1993 hatchbacks. 52,151 is the number of coupes (24,851) plus convertibles (27,300), also widely reported numbers.

I can understand there might be a need to charge for these reports but this Deluxe version is a pretty bad.
  • As a fearless leader does, thanks again for going ahead of us to show the way.
  • Wow... I guess we still need to all wait for the Marti reports to become availible for our cars....
  • I just received a letter from Ford Research and Development division with a letter stating that my 93 triple White Feature car is one of 1500 made (auto). It took alot of communication with Ford but I got it, now I can get Collectors Plate in Ohio. They needed the numbers from the feature tag in front of radiator and thats what give the data from