Mustang Convertible Diagnosis and Service Procedures manual

IMG_0068.JPG

I assume I'm the last one to know about this but my copy arrived this week and I was finally able to fix the alignment of my top.

It was never the same after the top was replaced the first time in the 90s (stupid vandals). It was always harder to get the passenger side to seat and latch. After the second time the top was replaced (stupid vandals) it just got worse to the point where getting the passenger side down was a two person job. Unlatched, the passenger side sat high and was too far back. I had compensated by letting the J hook way out but then of course the header wouldn't seal against the windshield frame. the shop that did the top both times didn't know how to adjust it. (they did really good work on the actual top installation though).

IMG_0069.JPG

That was after unlatching it, it sprung up to that position.

So the mystical google revealed this manual to me and low and behold I was able to sort my top out. I had to go all the way to the point of letting tension off the top fabric but I finally got it. It's still seems to be slightly farther back than the drivers side but it sits level unlatched, the pins line up, the J-hooks are dialed back to reasonable lengths, the header seals, and I can finally latch it myself again without a second person or pulling all the muscles in my arms trying to do it on my own.

Next thing the book will help me do is adjust my driver's door glass which is binding a little bit against the back window. It covers pretty much everything about the mechanics of the fox convertible top and windows.

on a related note, my parents used to own a 93 GLX convertible just like the one on the cover. light blue with light blue vinyl and a dark blue top.

Comments

• Thanks for sharing. It's good to know that it is so useful. I am aware of its existence but never actually got one. I'll have to get one.
  • It was well worth it for me since it saved me a trip to a shop to get sorted out which I was on the verge of doing. So it paid for itself tenfold.
  • I actually considered buying one of these off of e-Bay but a long time back when I saw one I contacted the seller and he couldn't provide me with information on the "copywrited" material that he was selling wasn't pirated or illegally copied. I passed on it.

If you are familiar with someone selling an original book I am interested in finding one too.