Got 4 NOS white caps in Ford boxes

edited September 2011 in For sale/wanted
I saw that the last set on eBay were sitting at $100 w/ a few minutes left so I jumped on with a bid of $105 and won. A week later and i have them in hand. The same seller has one more out on eBay right now.

Some observations.

Three of the boxes have the 10/25/00 date. Of those three caps none have the sticker inside w/ the alternate part number the box does indicate F3ZZ-1130-B part number. These three caps all have a definite orange peel to the finish. I'm going to see if some gentle polish and a little elbow grease will take it down. These three also have the black rivet on the back of the pony instead of grey. These three indicate 'MADE IN CANADA' on the box and are wrapped in foam.

The fourth box is much more weathered and has a date of 050393. The part number on the box is F3ZZ-1130-B and this one does have the alternate pn sticker FSZC-1A096-BA inside hte cap. It also has the grey rivets on the back of the pony and a more smooth white finish. This one did not indicate any place of origin and was wrapped in a plastic bad inside the box.

So, apparently one of my four is from the actual production run in 93. I guess this would be VONS (very old new stock) and the other three were an over the counter Ford replacement form Oct 2000. Also it appears that there my be made in the US and made in Canada caps out there and in at least my case the made in Canada caps are inferior (if only slightly).

This brings my collection of spares to 8 caps and 3 wheels. I know where 4 more caps and wheels can be had here locally but I think I need to stop before my wife kills me.

Comments

• Great deal! I was surprised to see those go for that price. Made me wish I had been more closely watching. Thanks for the date code breakdown.
  • Yea, I get lucky sometimes.

I've been in touch with the seller to see what else he has. He's got another NOS in box on eBay right now that has a '93 date. He also said he has another NOS in box '93 cap and a NOS wheel but not in a Ford box. I shot him a price for the extra wheel and cap but he never responded. He indicated earlier that he would prob list the wheel next.