Headlight seal fitment

edited December 2011 in Feature Mustangs
I'm looking for info on the correct fitment of the foxbody headlight seals. Looking at other cars there appears to be a wide variety of fitment for the 87-93 headlights. On some cars the seal 'pushed back' and appears to be behind the side edges of the headlight and marker lights and on other the seal is forward of the side edge of the headlight and marker lights. And on some cars it appears to be a combination of the two. One side of of the seal is pushed back and one side of the seal is pushed fwd.

The 'pushed back' seals look as if maybe the seal has just retracted back into the area between the lenses but on some cars is looks that way be design.

I am going to all the trouble of replacing all my front lights with NOS FORD parts so i don't loose any points but don't want to mess up on the final install. Total about $600 from various vendors to get all the parts.

If the seal is to be pushed back behind the side edges of the adjoining lenses I would put the new headlight in fist and then follow with the lenses on either side. If the seal it to be in front of the side edges I would think I should put in the marker lights first and then the headlight.

Pics of the correct fitment would be appreciated.

Comments

• I believe the black "ridges" on the corner lights and turn signals are meant to be visible when looking at the front of the car. I have pulled a lot of headlights off of these cars and I usually have to remove the turn signals and corner lamps before removing the headlights. The headlight seals are usually slid aside, or slid over on the sides of the headlights by the corner lights and turn signals.

This has only been my observation though. You might need to look at some of the original Ford literature that came out when the Fox Body Mustangs were new to see how the front of the cars looked in the Ford promotional material.

I don't think I would try to rely on 20 + year old cars that you see to make your determination on this.
  • So frustrating. The drivers side went together just right. There is just the right amount of bead between the headlight and the signal lights. The driver side however is another story. The front end has been tweaked just enough that I can't make the seal fit flush like the driver's side. Getting my big hands behind the headlight is such a pain that I may have to just leave it like that and take a 1 point hit.

At some point down the road I plan to replace the front bumper cover (it's got a slight wave in the abs). At that time I'll look into sorting out the whole front end and see if it can be re-tweaked.