Do You Believe the Insurance Company Totaled this YB Feature Convertible?

edited March 2012 in Feature Mustangs
Went to Brandon Florida today to look at a totaled feature convertible, after finding this on Tampa Florida Craigslist on Monday afternoon. Can you believe this was totaled? I couldn't believe it, and the owner couldn't either.

Comments

• What insurance comany? They probably based that on the value of any regular 93 vert.

I have Hagerty and an agreed value of $20k on my car.
  • I am sure it wasn't insured as a collectorcar. The gentleman, who was also the original owner, used the car as the family's second vehicle. I said something to him and asked if he was going to argue for the increased value of the car and the possibility of getting it fixed and told him when the settlement check arrived not to cash it and he said it was too late for that. The insurance company of the lady that hit him from the rear, MetLife, is the company that totaled the car. The insurance company left the car with him though, but asked him to submit the title to them. There is supposed to be a Florida Certificate of Destruction coming back to him in the mail within a week or so.
  • Do I sense a parts sale? I could use a few pieces. That is such a shame! Even more so if it was a 5spd!
  • Well, at this time I am only putting the Cervini fully-functional after-market Ram-Air (1971 - 1973 style) Mach I hood up for sale. It comes with the cold-air intake style filter and the ram air Cervini after-market air filter box cover that replaces the stock air filter box cover, that makes the hood intake mate up to the air filter box. I put that on local classified sites already. Cervini asks over $800.00 for this set-up. I couldn't believe it.
  • I tried contacting the guy numerous times on this car. Sadly, I never heard back from the guy. I was bumming for sure, especially at that price! When he stated it was hit in the rear, I was wondering how bad it was, as I never even got the opportunity to get pics!

If you want to get rid of the car as a whole, let me know. I'm waiting to hear back on a different Mustang (a very rare t-top notch), but I would gladly ditch that for this! Since I'm allocating money to paint my '88 FPV SSP for Carlisle, I'd be particularly interested if you wanted to work something out on a trade for one of my others for sale too.
  • I actually called the gentleman that was selling the car and spoke to him a few hours after he posted the ad on the Monday after New Years Day.

I disappointedly told him that I couldn't get down to Brandon from where I live near Ocala until the next weekend (Saturday). He told me that I was the first person that contacted him about the car and since I was interested in so much off of the car, from the excellent condition chrome Ponys to the trunk lid wing to interior parts for my car he told me that the car would sit until I could get there to look at it first. He said he preferred selling the entire car rather than parting it out himself.

He was the original owner.

Funny thing though, a few weeks ago I had a thought cross my mind and that thought was wouldn't it be neat to have TWO 1993 canary yellow feature convertibles at the same time. I shrugged that off saying to myself that I couldn't see that ever happening.

"Thank you, Lord", and thank you, Will (in Brandon)!

I will be receiving the Florida Certificate of Destruction for the car as soon as Will receives it from the State of Florida. He had to turn his valid title in to the state due to the insurance company totaling the car.
  • I actually called the gentleman that was selling the car and spoke to him a few hours after he posted the ad on the Monday after New Years Day.

I disappointedly told him that I couldn't get down to Brandon from where I live near Ocala until the next weekend (Saturday). He told me that I was the first person that contacted him about the car and since I was interested in so much off of the car, from the excellent condition chrome Ponys to the trunk lid wing to interior parts for my car he told me that the car would sit until I could get there to look at it first. He said he preferred selling the entire car rather than parting it out himself.

He was the original owner.

Funny thing though, a few weeks ago I had a thought cross my mind and that thought was wouldn't it be neat to have TWO 1993 canary yellow feature convertibles at the same time. I shrugged that off saying to myself that I couldn't see that ever happening.

"Thank you, Lord", and thank you, Will (in Brandon)!

I will be receiving the Florida Certificate of Destruction for the car as soon as Will receives it from the State of Florida. He had to turn his valid title in to the state due to the insurance company totaling the car.

You were probably just before me then. I have an app on my phone that I programed to pick up Canary Yellow's across the US when posted on craigslist within 8 minutes after the post. I called him either that night or the next morning (don't remember) and e-mailed him twice (once the same day I called, the second was a few days after). I told him right on the phone I'd only be interested in the whole car. If he started parting it out already, I no longer had interest. I'm on the hunt for a Canary Yellow daily driver, but wait for an exceptional deal, just as I do with all my Mustangs.

If you ever sell one (this one or the other one), please let me know unless I already have one by then. If it's reasonable and I can swing it, I have no problem buying it and making the couple thousand mile trip to pick it up. As long as it remains at a good home, that's all that matters to me. As soon as the ad mentioned about parting it out, my heart sank. I'm a sucker for non-perfect diamond's in the rough (if you haven't noticed from looking at my cars on my website)! lol!

Back on the prowl for now... [B-)]
  • Yes, I also look for cars that are affordable. I don't have deep pockets and the cars that I have bought so far have all usually been purchased using "creative financing" methods. I actually credit card cash-advanced to buy this car.

To any that missed the ad before the seller pulled the listing here is a copy of it.
  • YOU DID GOOD !
  • Yes, I also look for cars that are affordable. I don't have deep pockets and the cars that I have bought so far have all usually been purchased using "creative financing" methods. I actually credit card cash-advanced to buy this car.

To any that missed the ad before the seller pulled the listing here is a copy of it.
    I may have to use that phrase sometime... "creative financing"... I like it! lol! You and I have a lot in common! Sometimes when you want something bad, you just have to find a way to get it. Honestly, I really shouldn't have got the car anyway because I would have (once again) broke into my "Mustang resto fund" to get it instead of using it to paint one of my others. I have a bad habit of collecting and not restoring. This is God's way of telling me, "Just restore your collection Joe"! :)

I may have to use that phrase sometime... "creative financing"... I like it! lol! You and I have a lot in common! Sometimes when you want something bad, you just have to find a way to get it. Honestly, I really shouldn't have got the car anyway because I would have (once again) broke into my "Mustang resto fund" to get it instead of using it to paint one of my others. I have a bad habit of collecting and not restoring. This is God's way of telling me, "Just restore your collection Joe"! :)

Joe, I have the same problem, collecting and not selling.
  • If you do decide to sell parts, please let me know, I could use the wiper cowl. Mine is cracked :(
  • If you do decide to sell parts, please let me know, I could use the wiper cowl. Mine is cracked :(
    You can get repro ones for about $60, Ford ones for about $95. I don't have any extras at this point and may be buying a few Ford ones this summer for some of the others. Not sure how the repro's will fit.
  • The new ones are black, and have to be painted to match. You cannot buy.....at least easily enough, I am sure some are out there, but a new OE/NOS yellow one. They come from the factory yellow.
  • This was a good score for the money.

I really wonder what it looked like before the wreck. By the pics it looks like it had some appearance issues before the wreck, if so, it didn't help him make his case as to it's value.

Even if he had collector insurance it would still be based on condition as to it's collector value. Think about the one that just sold at Mecum, $20K. This car right now in good condition would be hard to justify fixing it from a value stand point.

I can't say to much though, I have already exceeded my cars value with the money I put into it. But I am CRAZY and just luv the car.
    JB
  • Insurance companies DID not have a data point until the car sold at Mecum. Granted it was special but now you will see the values increase. Mecum may move the cars to a Thursday instead of a Friday. Collector car INS companies simply pay the value you have requested. Beware though... Mileage indicated driven per year would be validated.
  • When I first got insurance for my TW from Haggerty they were reluctant to give me a $15k agreed value policy. I sent them more pics and a link to this site and they reconsiderd and gave me the terms I wanted. Not sure if was the additional info or the fact that I also have a 65 Chevy w/ them and threatned to go elsewhere if they would not cover both.
  • Insurance companies DID not have a data point until the car sold at Mecum. Granted it was special but now you will see the values increase. Mecum may move the cars to a Thursday instead of a Friday. Collector car INS companies simply pay the value you have requested. Beware though... Mileage indicated driven per year would be validated.

Grundy has agreed on value with no mileage restriction--there is an informal agreement that the car is not a DD, and it has to be garaged. I've heard of people being turned down from them if there DD is too old/deemed unreliable. I have our 92 and 12 insured through them.
  • Well, a local tag office told me today, now that I have the Florida Certificate of Destruction in hand,e that the document is the "death of the car" and the car can only be parted or sold for parts.

Well I initially bought it as a "personal" parts car so no loss to me if this is the way it works out in the end.

I have seen what I thought is a contradiction to their claim online but I need to do some more research through the Florida DMV in Tallahassee. I believe I will get two to three body shop with frame machine estimates and some better pictures of the damage before I contact DMV, since I don't believe the damage exceeds 80% ofthe car's value.

If anything, I can see a home-made 5 speed 7-Up or Triple-White maybe coming out of this if the shell takes a car-shreadder trip some day, and there is a vehicle shreadder in Ocala Florida.
  • If you decide to sell it whole, let me know. There are ways to work around this in the northeast! :) I have another convertible I could trade you for it too!