Repaint Q

edited March 2012 in Feature Mustangs
How bad will a repaint hurt my cars value? If done right with all new weatherstripping and badges? I would like to get the shine back in it with a new top and upholstery.

Comments

• Have you considered wet-sanding, it's truly amazing what it will do for a vehicle with ageing paint, if done CORRECTLY. There's been quiet a few articles on this subject with factory paint/FOXBODY'S - in Mustang & Fast Ford and 5.0 magazines.
  • I second that. A good cut and polish by a body shop can bring back very dead paint. If you have a few chips and scratches they can airbrush those and blend to match.
  • Well the previous owner took touch up paint to all the chips on the car. Only thing is it looks like he got the touch up paint from Walllmart and didnt know how to use it! It is everywhere and drives me crazy!
  • You could also refinish the areas that really need it and buff & polish the remaining paint.
  • I agree with the above comments. Lots of things you can do without a repaint. I had some dings and a 3" dent and scratch down to the metal in the door. The back bumper cover had been replaced and the paint was peeling off.

Took the gas cap door off and took it and got the paint matched. Had the dent in the door and the dings removed by a Paintless Dent Repair Shop (get references). Had the front and rear bumpers repainted, the dent in the door repaired and then we started repairing all the nicks and chips. The car wins at car shows and all the repairs and supplies were under $1000.

If you go this route have the car polished out before getting the paint matched.

Pics of your car would help also in getting the correct advice on the best way to go.

Here's a pic of the rear bumper and the drivers door that had the dent. As usual the bumper is still just a slightly different color just like factory. :D
  • I will try and get some good pics up in the next few days.