Replacing White Leather Feature Car Interior

edited January 2012 in Feature Mustangs
Input Appreciated!

93 Yellow/White feature care with 74K miles and I am contemplating replacing the leather interior.

Big Problem: Replace or not to Replace the Pony Stitching on the headrests. I have not found a single place that can duplicate and NOT make it almost like the pony stitching. If I did not replace the LOGO what effect long term would it have on the value.

FYI... No tears yet but they are coming on the driver seat. Also... Could I move the passenger seat to the driver seat (much better shape) and wait a few more years!

PapaG

Comments

• Also.... My Marti reports says my interio Is "Arctic White"!
  • In your case I would not replace the leather. I would replace the seats and keep your originals some place safe and temp controlled. Your car is so original it would be a crime to put something other than NOS leather in it.

If you replace the leather you would no longer qualify to show in the unrestored class. In unrestored they expect to see some blemishes so if you preserve the seats now they should last indefinitely. It's not a huge chore to take them out and put them back in when needed.

In the meantime find some salvage seats and have TMI or Distinctive Ind. leather installed. I went with TMI (form 50resto.com). It's 'okay' but does not have the same feel as OEM. TMI does have correct headrests.
  • I know some have replaced the seats but left the headrests alone since they tend not to wear. However, matching grains isn't perfect--someone who has done it needs to comment. My gut instinct is that few people would notice or care.