Factory CD changer

Most feature cars that I have seen came with a factory casette player. I know that a graphic equalizer (my car has this option) and a CD player were option on feature cars ('93 only?), but what about a CD changer? Found this TWF on autotrader that had a Ford CD changer. So, was this an option? If so, this could be a extremely rare car.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... 2375&Log=0

Comments

• The graphic EQ was only a 92 option. MCA judging rules will actualy deduct a point for a 93 that has the EQ. I believe the CD changer was a dealer installed add-on and not available from the factory.
  • g. Sound System: Must be correct Ford radio and sound system for year & model of car. 87-89 and 92 Feature Car only may have equalizer. Comp Prep equipped SVO & Cobra R has radio delete

From the current MCA concourse rules.

If you have a 93 w/ the EQ it may have been transplanted from another car or installed as a dealer add on. Do you have any of the original dealer paperwork or the window sticker?
  • My car is a '92. But didn't know that it was only an option for the feature cars for the '92 model.

A dealer installed cd changer would still be rare. I believe that dealers also could install a/c on a/c delete cars. My car has an after market a/c on it. I would like to put it back to factory. But I'm not sure if it was an original a/c delete car.
  • According to the sales brochure I have for 1993 there was an 80 watt single CD radio available as an option and the 80 watt cassette radio with premium sound as part of a package option (#245A with cruise control). It does not call out the CD changer but I have it in my car and it is identical to the one in the AutoTrader ad (with all the Ford labeling and connectors. I remember Ford having them as a factory option but I never saw one back then. There is also a remote control to operate the radio and CD changer. I'm still surprised the unit still works and sounds good!

I remember seeing a few 1986 - 1990 mustangs back then with a dealer installed a/c. They were easy to identify because they used a square style compressor versus the typial cylindrical style we are used to seeing. Not sure if that holds true for the '90's cars.
  • I knew that the changer had to be rare as I had never seen one in any fox body car. And with the ford symbol on it, I knew it could have been an option but wasn't sure. Wonder why didn't they offer the equalizer in 93?

Also my a/c compressor is the square style and the brackets are different than my other fox cars. Is there a way to tell if my car came with a/c or not from factory?
  • I toyed with the idea of installing an EQ in my '92. When someone selling one set-up sent a picture of the stereo and equalizer to me it had different connectors (a third if I remember correctly) on the back of the stereo and equalizer where the pair plugged into the something, maybe the amp and wiring in the car. Since I couldn't see everything related to the stereo and equalizer pair in the pictures the guy sent me I passed on it.

I believe the Amplifier would have to be different to be able to adjust the tones with the equalizer and therefore the wiring and connectors may also be different to keep assembly line personnel from mixing the two up. This I am not sure about though.

In 1993 Ford installed the amplifiers under the passenger seat of the Mustang and the speakers connector changed to the square-looking plug common to most other 1993 through about 1996 Ford and Mercury products. The amplifier in the 1993 Mustang has the RJ45-looking connector at the side of the amplifier though, making it unique to only the 1993 and different than the 1994 and later amplifiers.

The main stereo power and speakers wiring harnesses up under the dash, I believe, uses the older common rectangular connector on them and I believe those are the same in ALL Mustangs from at least 1989 through 1993.

For somebody wanting to do a conversion, who cares about points if you like the stereo and don't concours a car at shows, if you wanted to delete the wiring for the under-seat amplifier and do a complete change-out of the entire package it would probably work in the '93. I would believe you have to be sure to get EVERYTHING, all the way back to the two main harness connectors, to do the swap though.
  • My car has a cd changer in the trunk, says "ford audio systems" on cd cartridge sleeve. I have an '88 Tbird that has the graphic EQ amp thats looks the same as the optional ones in the 92's. I have always wanted to transplant it, but I have never been able to find out if it is possible or someone else who has done it. The optional system in the t-bird sounds better than the one in the stang, both have "premium" labeled speakers. I think the EQ amp makes a difference.
  • I parted a late 80s T-Bird that also had the EQ stereo system but the amp was in the trunk on the back wall/seat devider, if I remember correctly. I had never seen a T-Bird with all of the toys that car had in it, from the 5.0 to the power seats on both sides. I too kept the stereo and EQ but since I had a mile of wiring to sort out I just squirreled it away somewhere here and never went any further with it.
    As for the "premium" labeled speakers you can also find them in the doors of the late 80s early 90s pick-ups. I have even seen factory coaxial round door speakers but I believe those were in Lincolns. The little dash speakers can be found in the tailgate of Aerostars. The Aerostar speakers fit in the Mustang dash holes but the connector is different on those little speakers from the Mustang speakers.
  • g. Sound System: Must be correct Ford radio and sound system for year & model of car. 87-89 and 92 Feature Car only may have equalizer. Comp Prep equipped SVO & Cobra R has radio delete

From the current MCA concourse rules.

If you have a 93 w/ the EQ it may have been transplanted from another car or installed as a dealer add on.
    I can confirm that the 1993 had no EQ option but the wording of that rule is not entirely correct. 1991 also had an EQ option.

I also imagine that, as the 1992 EQ was in the factory brochure, it is not just a feature car option.
    Do you have any of the original dealer paperwork or the window sticker?
    That would definitely help clear up any questions that might arise in a judging scenario.