So, what do you think of this one?

edited April 2012 in For sale/wanted
I was looking around on e-Bay this evening and found this ad... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mus ... 4cffbe75fa
..., sure hope the link works.

So the ad reads the car has a super-high Auto-Check score and the ad reads it is a V-8 and a manual trans car. I couldn't help but notice several things that don't match what the ad states and then a few that do. In examining the vehicle in the ad can you find the things that I was able to find that do match and those that don't match the ad title and ad details about the car?

Comments

• Fishy. I'll bet that it is a real feature car that had some title problems so they just swapped the VIN for a car that had a good title. I'd like to see pics of the VIN tags and the buck tag.
  • On a sec look the steering wheel is also changed. I'll bet it's hot thus the VIN swap.
  • auto check does not make any sense either. How can a car w/ that many miles and at least 4 owners get a score of 45? Auto check also reports that the car has a 2.3l.

Just for fun I emailed the guy to explain. This could be fun. Maybe we can help a theft victim get his feature back.
  • here is the response I got back:

I bought the car in 2005 titled as a 1989. All documents show the vehcile
    has having a 4 cyl, however, when I purchased the car it had a 5.0 motor
    and everything it has now. The only major changes I have made are the new
    motor and new paint (vehicle was org yellow as well).
  • I too e-mailed him yesterday and his response to me was similar. I was surprised to see everything with the exception of one fender and the steering column looks like it is a 1993. Even the a/c controls have the correct later style bezel around the controls so I don't figure the car has a 1989 dash with just the pony added to the upper corner.

My initial thought is the hidden VIN would definitely tell a different story. The convertible top moldings even show the black under the yellow like they have never been painted over either.

When I started looking for a YW Feature car I went to Jacksonville Florida to look at one for $2,000.00. The car had a 1987 - 1989 steering column in it and when I glanced in the windshield it had a 1988 LX convertible VIN. The guy had the 1993 title in his hand too. When I actually asked he told me he had a friend buy it for him and he never found out why the car had two VINs from the former owner. I knew the car had been clipped or re-VIN'd and passed on it. This is similar to that one, only it has a 1989 4 Cylinder LX convertible VIN.

Think about the person that doesn't know Mustangs and sees it and thinks they'd like to have it. I saw a thread on a site somewhere that a guy said he bought a Fox Mustang and had trouble transferring the title. He said the state law enforcement came and towed the car in for inspection and found it was stolen and re-numbered. He had said he lost the car to the state because it was stolen.
  • Latest from the seller is a big red flag:

The vin tags on the body match the title - yes. I do not see or find a
    "buck tag" - sorry.

I really doubt the body tags all match. Someone would have had to take a 2.3l and done A LOT of work to clone a feature car. I don't see that happening. The feature cars are somewhat rare but not rare enough or valuable enough to do that much work. I'll bet this is a genuine feature car that's been wracked or stolen and they are using a doner vin to clean it.

I wonder if we have anyone on the ground in WV that could go check it out?
  • It looks to me to be a '89 4 cylinder car that was converted to look like a 93 yellow/black. Probably all from a donor/totaled out 93 Y/B. You can tell the top is the older version with the strip in the back above the back window. Steering column looks to be the only thing that wasn't changed out in the interior.
  • First thing that struck me after the 1989 was the steering wheel and the poor fit of the plastic around it. Also the center console has some really bad cratches. Then there is no engine pics, new motor, wouldn't you want to show them. The drivers seat looked in better shape than one with 128,000 on it. Also 128,000 on a 5.0 and it had to be rebuilt. Lot of oddities.

My 2 cent guess would be it was hit hard in the front, the reason for no pics. That would also explain the steering swap and new paint. It could also had the engine damaged, the reason for the rebuilt one. The 93 probably had a salvage title and someone had a 1989 4cyl donor.

It would be easy to sell in your local state like that. But I know if you bring an out of state car here they check more than 1 VIN location to verify.

As for the top I have seen places put the early tops on the later cars or add the rib bar. Did 89 models have the same dash? But then again they could have cloned the 89 and put a 5.0 in it. You would need to look at the other VIN locations and not the anti theft stickers.

Jerry
  • Car was relisted and someone got it for $5000. Maybe the new owner will find thier way to this site and can answer some questions.
  • Maybe the buyer will take "buyer protection".

Did you hear about the guy that bought the 1969 Camaro and after paying huge bucks for it found it had been stolen a very long time ago? He got his money back through some buyer protection plan.