What's your experience with resto/repro parts?

One of the things I think makes any fox mustang a great collectible is the abundance of reproduction parts--enough to really rebuild most of the vehicles. However, my limited experience thus far with the parts has been a little disappointing. So far I have purchased the convertible top j hook receptacle/dowel (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/ite ... ptacle-Kit) and the quality is pretty bad. The fit was "ok," but the receptacle is flimsier plastic than oem and already cracking again after limited use.

I bought front windshield molding--wrong color to oem and they are cut the wrong length (even tried to get replacement) (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/ite ... strip-Pair)

On my last mustang, replaced the sun visors--again it was "ok," but not true to oem.

I've noticed that late model resto doesn't allow specific customer product reviews--kind of suspicious. I haven't tried purchasing anything from national parts depot.

What's been your experience? I know there is large industry for other classic vehicles (the older muscle cars). Do they suffer from the same aftermarket quality problems?

Comments

• OEM is always going to fit/look beter if you can get it. Some parts are just not available OEM so unless you go w/ salvage repo is the only answer.

I tried some repo headlight gaskets but found my used 20yo units worked better.

I had some repo turn signals that fit and looked just fine but i went ahead and replaced them w/ OEM so I don't loose any points at shows. For a driver that's not worred about loosing a point here and there some repo parts are fine.
  • I sure love shopping at wrecking yards. I also shop Craigslist and have gotten a lot of used parts for my cars from many people across the country. Everything from a New Old Stock white Pony Wheel in the box to a used OEM 1992-1993 black top boot and bag for my YB, to Pony wheel center caps, to a set of 1992 Mustang shop manuals with the wiring diagrams book and more.

I don't Concours show my cars so I don't really need New-Old-Stock parts for my cars all of the time. I have also found that I can buy some stuff at Ford cheaper than retail at Advance Discount Auto Parts or AutoZone.

I just bought a whole bunch of interior "stuff" I needed for my cars and my daughter's 1989 GT convertible from a '93 4 Cylinder LX Hatch that just arrived at a local wrecking yard and got everything at a great price. I got all 6 stock speakers, dash grilles to have as spares, in-tact hood underlay insulation, chrome door lock/unlock buttons, one LX taillight (for a spare), the unbroken dash/instrumant panel bezel, and much much more.

To be honest. if I want N.O.S. parts I go to the local Ford dealership and check to see if a part or parts are available. A lot are now obsolete. I ask the parts guys to check Ford's "LOCATOR" for any parts I really do want new that have gone obsolete. I actually recently found 5 NEW chrome Pony wheel center caps through Ford but they were too pricey for me. I would have had to get them through the Ford dealership in Puerto Rico too. I found a NEW 5 speed shifter boot and plate in Missouri but passed on it too.

I recently opened a Bill Me Later account on e-Bay when I found two pair of the windshield trim to glass weatherstrips NOS on e-Bay and then found an inexpensive NOS F3ZZ 5.0 clutch disc kit too. I haven't shopped on e-Bay since they went all electronic because I wasn't going to give anybody access to my bank accounts. Now I can buy on e-Bay again.

I believe you have to have and you have to take the time to really search, be patient, and persisitent in your search for the best parts, new, NOS or used. I can also attest that patience can pay off, as seen with my last 3 vehicle acquisitions, the YB 5 Speed from Colorado, the TW AOD from Gainesville near the UF, and the last being the YB 5 Speed parts car.

As for Reproduction parts, in my personal opinion, they STINK, in general. Even when I had my 1966 Mustang, the LAST place I ever went for parts was National Parts Depot. I live 20 minutes down the road from their Ocala store too.

About the most authentic-looking reproduction parts that I have found have been produced by Scott Drake (in the classic Mustang parts market). I am not sure if they are reproducing Fox Mustang parts yet though.
  • Good points. I haven't yet gotten into the stockpiling of parts I may or may not need. It's hard to outlay the cash, although I do see them come up for sale here and there.

It's hard to justify spending money on a few pieces here and there, knowing I'll likely never find all the parts for sale to make a complete set (like interior, etc). The NOS parts are already commanding premiums. A parts car is the way to go, but only if you have a place to store it.
  • My experience with aftermarket repro's are also pretty bad. They work, but are not my liking (for the most part). When it comes to restoring Mustangs, I'm VERY picky and, because of this, I often buy a resto project and sit on it for years until I get the parts I need at reasonable prices. In the long run, I make out exceptionally well. When I moved to Maine almost two years ago, I had three trailers, a car full, my Expedition full, and 2/3 of a medium U-Haul truck full of parts. Since then, I have purchased even more (mostly when I got three cars and two loads of parts from a guy who needed money for a divorce).

I have collected all these parts and parts cars for the sole reason of three specific restorations. My '88 FHP SSP that will be a Ford Police Vehicles Tribute car has reproduction parts including front lights (until I find NOS ones at a price I like), front glass window, weatherstripping (only because I've heard great things), leather shifter boot, carpet, floormats, rear package tray, headliner, and maybe one or two other small things. Please know that what I consider performance upgrades are not included in the list (i.e. exhaust and such). Everything else will have been from Ford. Having fixed my brother's '89 with all aftermarket parts at his choice, I swore I would never do that to one of my own.

I may just be too picky, but I try to stay away from the repro stuff as much as possible. If I'm really on the fence about an aftermarket part, I usually call up Fox Mustang Restoration and chat with them about the fit and quality of some of the products. Before I purchased the package tray, I called them and asked about the accuracy of the fabric. They told me it wasn't exact. I purchased it anyway and when I got it in the mail, they even included a sample that I could put next to the carpet, seats, etc. to see how much different it is. This was Regatta Blue. My Titanium Gray one I got last year was dead on accurate.

If you have questions about specific repro parts, if Fox Resto carries it, I'd give them a call. I agree, parts cars are the way to go! If you don't have room to store it, make friends with someone who does!