Vert top headliner installation

edited June 2012 in Feature Mustangs
Can anyone explain how the factory feature vert headliners mounted to the top?

The car I am working on had the top frame changed and I have no clue how the factory roof headliner installs!
Thanks!

Comments

• im kinda interested too since i picked one up off a buddy of mine, i just havent gotten around to playin with it yet.
  • Ttt still need to know.... it looks like the front tucks into the header piece.
    Does the rear attach via holes drilled into a metal support?
  • I know there are about 10 or 12 screws in the front header bow on the headliner-type convertible top frame. It has been a while since I have removed (two of) these (one from a parts car I had and one from a wrecking yard car) though. I know I had to remove them from rear to the front of the frame though due to the screws in the front header bow. I don't believe the headliner goes under the header bow seal/gasket but I am not sure because it has been so long and I removed the seals before I decided to remove the headliners. You DO NOT want to use a scarred or marred #2 Phillips screwdriver on these screws though. If you do, and you round out the old screws you will have a heck of a time getting them out of the front bow (like I did on a few screws).

There are snaps and velcro and push-on clips that hold the rear middle and rear sections of the headliner to top bows. I believe there is velcro on the rear upper-rear top bow in my YB because the headliner was coming down and I found velcro on both the headliner and the rear top bow.

There are also 3 push-pins in each vertical lower top pivot supports.

If your convertible top has been replaced I believe there is a late 1992/1993 top and a 1991/early 1992 top and the difference in the two might be the velcro or snaps in places for the headliner. I was asked which model top I needed when I priced a top recently and asked what the difference was but the top place didn't know, but they said there were two options. After I messed with the wrecking yard headliner and then my YB headliner I think I figured it out for myself.

I look at this type of work like this, take notes if you aren't sure, as the headliner comes out, take cellphone or digital pictures if necessary, and, dive right in and do it.

The toughest part of the removal was the front header bow screws.