VIN tag and grease pen locations

edited August 2012 in Feature Mustangs
I've never really looked before but I am curious the exeact location of all the VIN tags.

I know I've got them on the L and R fender. The one on the bumper cover is gone. Not sure if the one on the hood is visible or under the hood blanket.

Where are the other tags?

Also, what are all the factory grease pencil marks? I've seen low mile cars w/ an X on the filter box and gas tank. Curious where the other marks should be.

Comments

• Okay, I must have been blind. The hood tag is on the right side near the hinge. The decklid tag is near the tag lights. I'm guessing that the door tags are on the underside of the doors but did not feel like getting on my back to check.

Now how about the grease pencil marks?
  • Underside of each door, yes, you were right about those, underside of the rear bumper cover parallel to the road, inner rear quarters near the trunk lid hinges. You probably already saw evidence of the label here and it is hard to describe this location, the front bumper cover label faces out the front of the car on the passenger side small front-facing vertical surface behind where the middle of the hood closes and covers the hood latch area. Others you mentioned are in the same places on my cars.

When I used to own 157770 and 157777 (still own) 7-Up convertibles both had yellow grease pen marks on the tops of the radiator supports. I forgot what both show or say, but I kept pictures of the show car's pen marks and have them somewhere on a CD. I think 157777 has STK # and a 5 digit number after it. if I remember I will look later this week and see.
  • Here are the yellow pen marks (like parts marker) from both of the 7-Up convertibles I have and had that were marked. Maybe these marks aren't what you referred to when you mentioned grease pen marks?
  • I've not ever seen those before. I have seen an X on the air box and on the gas tank however.
  • Here are the yellow pen marks (like parts marker) from both of the 7-Up convertibles I have and had that were marked. Maybe these marks aren't what you referred to when you mentioned grease pen marks?

Do either of those numbers match the VINs on the 7-Ups?
  • No correlation to the VIN, one 7-Up is my current daily driver and carries 157777 as the last 6 digits and the other was the show car with last 6 VIN digits 157770 that I had, that I sold when my YB arrived from Colorado a couple of years ago.

I have seen yellow pen marks like these on other vehicles before, never really paid attention to them, and I just can't remember which ones and how long ago. When I bought the 157770 7-Up I realized I had two with yellow writing on them.

I would be interested in finding out if other 7-Up convertibles in the same VIN sequence have markings like these on them. Maybe they all went to the same DSO, same dealer, or who knows?