Winter time start up tips

edited January 2007 in Feature Mustangs
During the winter months I start and run the car every month. Its good for the car plus I like to hear the v8 rumble during those dark days. I hit the brake pedal a few times, and I got a tip to run the AC as well, good for those seals and O rings. Also keep the gas tank full. :D

Comments

• Thanks for the tip Chris. How long do you run it? I've always been concerned about condensation forming and not being able to burn off if the engine does not get hot enough. I keep my car in an unheated garage that even in the coldest weather we get (single digits) does not get below the mid-30's. Though, cold enough for condensation to be of a concern for sure.

I've had some problems with my rear main seal leaking which has been attributed to not running the car in the winter. So, I'm always re-evaluating my winter storage procedure.

Actually, I'm planning to take my car out tomorrow. We've had unusually warm weather in my area and, so far, no snow. I'll keep it on the road until the sand/salt hits. :D
  • I also have the rear main leaking due to lack of use. I have owned my feature for 6 months and put on about 20 miles. I do stretch her legs in the winter months every three weeks. I have also heard to be sure to change the oil before and after the season, no matter what the mileage. :lol:
  • A ferrari tech told me that they recommend starting up once every 2-3 weeks, and driving atleast a mile or two. I know its apples and oranges but this is winter maintence. Running A/C, heat, operating windows, for vechicles w/ ABS it is also recommended to come to a hard stop to activate the ABS. I have my '93 yellow feature (14k miles), and a '91 corvette (10k miles) in the garage, and do this cycle year round. The only driving these cars see is taking them around the neighborhood. The cars run great! Disconnecting the positive batt, cable protects the batt., a full tank of gas and fuel stablizer is good to use.