Website question

Why doesnt the "historical auction data" (ebay) work?
I click on it and it does not come up :(
That was a good tool to be able to see the values.

Comments

• Because the ads are from ebay. Once the auction is over, ebay doesnt keep the info, so it is deleted after.. 45 days I belive?
  • It absolutely should work. I just tried the 1992 history and it appeared OK for me.

One thing that I can think of is that if you are seeing what appears to be a blank screen with only the site banner, navigation and ebay ad, scroll down. There are some incompatibilities with the site layout on Internet Explorer 6 especially when used at lower screen resolutions/small window sizes. The table with the auctions gets pushed down below the ad at the right. I hope that is it but let me know if you continue to experience problems, see any error messages, etc.

The way that the history works is that each entry will be linkable to ebay for the 90 days following the auction and then after that the link will present information from my database. That history goes back over 6 years for 92/93 cars.

Thanks for your feedback.
  • So was I right?
  • In a way, yes. The ads are for active ebay items. But, if you click the "View all" link in the ad you go to this page where the "Historical auction data" links are that VibrantChick was referring to. Click those and you will see multi-page listings of completed auctions. These lists are from a database on this web server and not ebay because, as you say, they remove auctions after a fixed period of time (90 days). But, my database keeps the data indefinitely.
  • It absolutely should work. I just tried the 1992 history and it appeared OK for me.

One thing that I can think of is that if you are seeing what appears to be a blank screen with only the site banner, navigation and ebay ad, scroll down. There are some incompatibilities with the site layout on Internet Explorer 6 especially when used at lower screen resolutions/small window sizes. The table with the auctions gets pushed down below the ad at the right. I hope that is it but let me know if you continue to experience problems, see any error messages, etc.

The way that the history works is that each entry will be linkable to ebay for the 90 days following the auction and then after that the link will present information from my database. That history goes back over 6 years for 92/93 cars.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am using slimbrowser. I used to be able to see it with that, but not now. What do I need to do to be able to view it?
  • I am using slimbrowser. I used to be able to see it with that, but not now. What do I need to do to be able to view it?
    What do you see when you try to view it? You can email me a screenshot if you get a chance. Nothing has changed with it so I'm surprised to hear it used to work. I'll download slimbrowser and check it out tonight.
  • OK, I tried slim browser and it worked except that it behaves like I tried to explain about what I have seen with Internet Explorer. For small window sizes, the information in the center is pushed down. You can see it here:

slimbrowser.jpg

Its a layout problem that involves the ad block on the right and causes the center content to go below it. What I am describing is definitely a problem with this site. If you are seeing a white space where you are expecting the details, try scrolling all the way to the bottom. As you can imagine with the above screen shot, if the window height were less than it is here it would look blank in the middle. As it would be at 800 by 600.

If this is not your case, can you provide more details like what you are actually seeing when you try to go to the page? There must be some explanation and I know we can find it.
  • OK, I tried slim browser and it worked except that it behaves like I tried to explain about what I have seen with Internet Explorer. For small window sizes, the information in the center is pushed down. You can see it here:

slimbrowser.jpg

Its a layout problem that involves the ad block on the right and causes the center content to go below it. What I am describing is definitely a problem with this site. If you are seeing a white space where you are expecting the details, try scrolling all the way to the bottom. As you can imagine with the above screen shot, if the window height were less than it is here it would look blank in the middle. As it would be at 800 by 600.

If this is not your case, can you provide more details like what you are actually seeing when you try to go to the page? There must be some explanation and I know we can find it.

Its just like you have shown. When I go down to the bottom of the page, its just white still cant see it :?:
  • Can you try it under Internet Explorer?

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. It looks like SlimBrowser is just a different interface for Internet Explorer. How about clearing your cache? Tools > Internet Options. Then on the General tab, click Delete under browsing history.
  • I tried that with slimbrowser and internet explorer.
    Sorry to bug you with this. Its weird how I cant view it now. :?:
  • Sorry to bug you with this. Its weird how I cant view it now. :?:
    No problem. I'm impressed you are still trying. Can you send a screenshot of the page you are seeing. It might reveal something to me that is not obvious from your description. You can take a screenshot via ALT - PRT SCR and then paste it into an email. My address is on this page.
  • Sorry to bug you with this. Its weird how I cant view it now. :?:
    No problem. I'm impressed you are still trying. Can you send a screenshot of the page you are seeing. It might reveal something to me that is not obvious from your description. You can take a screenshot via ALT - PRT SCR and then paste it into an email. My address is on this page.

I tried the ALT - Print scr but it doesnt work.

It looks just like the one you posted except it has just white on the rest of the page even if you go to the bottom. No text at all.
  • How about just pressing "Prt Scr"? That puts an image of your entire screen on your clipboard and then you can edit > paste it into an email message.

It may not seem like it will be helpful but it could be. It's what else that might be on the screen that may not seem important but may be a clue to me. Things like what the address of the page in the address bar of the page you are trying to access. Or, are you really scrolled all the way to the bottom of the screen? I'm not trying to second guess but I just want to see what you are seeing.

For example, I just had someone email me that they got an error every time they tried to fill out my registry form. It worked for me every time. We emailed back and forth on some things to try and I finally asked them to send me a copy of what they were seeing. It turned out that the error was from another Mustang registry that I have a link to on my site and it was not from my registry! I would never have known we weren't talking about the same thing until I saw the message copied and pasted into an email.
  • So, if you were curious to the outcome, after the last post VibrantChick and I emailed back and forth on this issue and the ultimate solution was to upgrade to Firefox. That is usually the best solution to any IE issue ;)