My Feature was hit yesterday and I am depressed :-(

During the day time, I was at a stop sign waiting to turn right. A girl went off the road and hit me on the drivers side. She kept pushing my car, she was hitting the gas. I was yelling for her to STOP!! She put it in reverse and took off quick! She was clearly intoxicated and never even looked at me. I feel like my heart has been ripped out. I am so depressed. the good news is that is seems the only damage is the door and fender. The engine and rear fender area are untouched. She pushed so hard that my seat is pushed against the center console and the door is pushing into the car. My windshield cracked and the driver side window broke ( it was in the down position). I hope Ford gives me good news tomorrow about fixing it. I have collector car insurance and I am praying my car does not get totaled out. I will be devastated if that happens :(

Comments

• Did you get a tag?

I know from experience that in a hit and run even if you get the tag you have to be able to positively ID the driver. It's happened to me three times and each time when they run the tag down the cops go the 'oh we sold that car last week' and 'no we don't remember to who'.

Good luck. Collector car ins companies are a little more understanding when it comes to rare and vintage cars.
  • Best of luck with getting your ride repaired. At least you are ok though.
  • The most important thing is that you were not seriously hurt. That means your car did its job. Anything on a fox body can be fixed. Just be glad the you were not rear-ended and the spoiler damaged. One piece of advice, try to have the body shop cut out the door tag for you. You will want it one day. Even if you have it tack welded it into a different door.
  • Just finding a drivers side LX vert door is like a scavenger hunt. Any ideas? I have already tried all of the main sites and ebay, craiglist...etc

This is depressing
  • I am so sorry to hear this!!!

Mustang Junkyards online? That's where we were heading for the door panels until we got lucky with a guy close by selling them....
  • Try MPS (link - http://mpsautosalvage.com/sunshop/). They have doors for $350 Drivers side (Link - http://www.mpsautosalvage.com/sunshop/i ... ail&p=3061) and the passengers side for $275. I have purchased from them in the past and thy are good.

From the description on the webite for this door - "This is a USED 87 - 93 FORD MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE LEFT DRIVERS 5.0 GT door. WILL FIT 87-89 BUT THE MIRROR IS DIFFERENT Most doors of this age do have a few scratches and possibly a light door ding or 2. We scrap any door that has more than this. Comes with every thing seen in the pics including the window glass, window motor and regulator. This is a stock photo. Color may vary. You may request a certain color and we will do our best to fill your request."

Good luck!
  • They come available on Houston's Craigslist all the time. I will keep my eyes open. Look into these. http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1679966006.html You will have to change the mirror mount, but they are cheap.
  • So sorry to hear about your accident! I would be so depressed! I'm glad you are not hurt. If I run across any fox doors or fenders, I will post them up here.
  • That really sucks. I really hope that they police can track this lady down. I gotta ask, she wasnt driving a Toyota was she? :(

Any pictures?
  • Post up some pictures of the damage and the insurance companies decision. Also, how many miles are on your feature?

Ironically someone local is selling (was?) a 92 feature for around $1900. I was in contact with him for a day and asked to see if and it went cold. No call backs or emails so I am not sure what happen. I was thinking of buying it and either restoring or part it out. Only prblem is the space in at my house! The wife would not have let me have a shell of a mustang sitting in the garage and the neighbors would probably frown on a shell sitting in the driveway.

If he ever calls back I will you know. Could be a purchase for someone here who has room.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1654875277.html
  • That really sucks. I really hope that they police can track this lady down. I gotta ask, she wasnt driving a Toyota was she? :(

Any pictures?

It appeared to be a silver or grey Acura Integra from 1994-1995
    The hood ornament was left behind.

We did get a tag but it does not match the car. Looks like they have been doing some tag swapping or something :-( The police are still looking for her.

I guess in a weird way it would be kinda funny if it was a Toyota?

So far the insurance company is great. No issues.

I think we may have tracked down a good door. I will let you guys know.
    Pictures are just too painful right now :(

Members of our Mustang club have been "visiting her in the hospital" we really have a great mustang family here.

You guys are great too, I really appreciate all of your help and support.
  • I was saying since Toyotas have the sticking down gas pedal. sorry, wrong time to make a joke. Itll be better soon, remember, everything happens for a reason.

Ryan
  • Ford has located a door!

"Rare 92" don't worry its all good.
  • Sorry to hear about the accident, Hope you didn't get hurt? I know in B.C., It doesn't take much for the insurance company to completely write a car off even with a little damage!, especially given the year. :-( Good luck making her pretty again!..Brian
  • This event is a good argument for collector car insurance. We use Grundy for ours--very inexpensive and can insure for whatever amount you want (price based on insured value, but quite reasonable).
  • Quick update, all parts have been located. They have already pulled the rocker panel area straight. I am having the whole thing painted and clear-coated so she will be better than when she went in ;-)
    I will post pics when she is done, should be first week of June.
  • Glad to hear it is coming together for you!
  • Quick update, all parts have been located. They have already pulled the rocker panel area straight. I am having the whole thing painted and clear-coated so she will be better than when she went in ;-)
    I will post pics when she is done, should be first week of June.

I'm happy for you too. If you don't mind--quick questions:

1) You said you had collector car insurance--which one and how easy/hard have they been to work with during this process.

2) Has your body shop had to replace any pieces/parts? If so, where did they get them?

--just curious---you often wonder how hard classic car repair is.

Any damaged car pics?
  • I have Heacock collectible insurance.

No hassles at all! No deductable, I am so glad
    I have them. You should check them out.

Pics- too painfull to post

Parts - various places. the door, fender and rocker came from
    prestigemustang.com its a salvage yard just for Stangs!

So they are good Ford parts not aftermarket.
  • Update......

Should be getting close to finished.

They are doing a great job on her.
    They are block sanding, sealing, primer, glazing, painting and clear coating the whole car. Also hood and truck etc... will be better lined up now too than it ever was.

I figured now would be the time to get her totally repainted.
    It will be worth the extra $

I will keep you guys updated.
    Thank you for your support.
  • Can't wait to see pics. :D
  • Should be done in 2 weeks!! I cant wait!
  • *update*

I will be picking her up this Friday!!
    I am so excited!!!!!!!!!
  • Can't wait--the before and after pics will be amazing!
  • She is home!!! and well worth the wait!!

"Gumball" looks beautiful!! :D

I am so happy.

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg
  • She looks great! Does she drive like a new car? I know I miss mine after she spends a few days covered in the garage - you must be ecstatic!
  • I missed her so much, it drove me crazy!!!!

I am so glad to have her back home now and its
    such a relief to know she is repaired.

Now I just have to make sure I don't let paranoia set in
    and keep me from driving her a lot.
    I doubt that will happen though ;-)

Also, if you look you can see my window sticker from this site. I already put it on!