Whats the best way to put on convertible top boot cover

My car came with no instructions at all on how to install the top cover. And this is my 1st convertible. So how does everyone install their boot covers? Where do you start? Are there any tricks?

Comments

• I know there's a diagram of how to install it floating around somewhere--may be on the boot carrying case sleeve. It says to fit the front plastic tab in first to the metal groove that runs over the back seats. In practice, I have found it takes a little different approach--likely because the vinyl shrinks a bit.

I usually snap the button in place on one side, then try to insert the rear same side plastic tabs (carefully and tugging) to get to slide under the car's trim pieces. You'll know the spot to put the plastic tabs under by whether there is a space that accepts them. Once you get it started, makes the rest easier. Then I do the other side (snap buttons and tabs), followed by the back, and finally the front.
  • Yeah I believe the directions are on the boot cover case, but like my map pocket on my passenger door, someone decided to rip/cut it off. Why do people abuse their special/limited edition cars is beyond me.

Now I'm trying to fix everything and some things I can't. So I'm gonna try to fix it up differently. I've got several things in mind. Hopefully I can get some pictures of before and after.

Thanks for the tutorial on how to put the boot cover on.
  • Yeah. I think you just have to do whatever works. If putting in the side plastic tabs and then trying to snap the buttons works easier, go that route. It's usually a pretty tight fit with some tugging. I do know from two fox verts that trying to put the front or back tabs in first usually doesn't allow the sides to be stretched far enough. I also try to keep the boot from drying out with a vinyl conditioner--doubt it does much in the world of shrinking, but can't hurt. Putting the boot on every once in awhile likely helps stretch it out some.
  • If you are putting it on, and the sun is shining, drop the top, and then lay the boot cover over it. Give it a few minutes to warm up and you will find that the vinyl stretches that much easier.
  • I will try that. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • I usually snap the button in place on one side, then try to insert the rear same side plastic tabs (carefully and tugging) to get to slide under the car's trim pieces. You'll know the spot to put the plastic tabs under by whether there is a space that accepts them. Once you get it started, makes the rest easier. Then I do the other side (snap buttons and tabs), followed by the back, and finally the front.

This is my preferred way also. Helps get it centered too.