Stereo install question

Ok folks, since I've gotten my grubby mits on an orignal premium stereo setup, I've pulled the POS 90's removable headunit radio. Good news: No cut wires!

Bad news: I have an extra, mystery, plug.

Here's the standard plugs:

2012-09-17_18-22-12_323.jpg

And here's the mystery plug that is hanging out back around the amp:

2012-09-17_18-23-14_423.jpg

Any idea what the extra plug is for? The aftermarket stereo was plugged into said mystery plug along with the thin grey one of the main harness.

Is the mystery plug supposed to plug into the amp? If so, I can't see anywhere for it to do so.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Ah hah. I have figured it out. The mystery plug is for the speakers. I found it's mate tucked up behind the glove box and the two are now happily rejoined.

Now I wait with baited breath for my stereo to arrive on Wednesday.
  • That is the reason I passed on a pair on Craigslist in Orlando about a year ago. I saw the big connector, unlike the normal two connectors, and decided since I didn't know what it goes to I wouldn't chance buying it.

I have the pair from a 1988 Thunderbird I had many years ago too and if I remember correctly it has the huge connector on it too. The amp, in the Thunderbird, was in the trunk on the seat divider. I pulled the entire amp wiring to the trunk but squirreled it all away years ago.

I came across the stereo recently and put it aside again.

To all looking in wrecking yards, Aerostars came with this pair of stereo and equalizer too.

I have used Aerostar AM/FM/Cassettes in a couple of my cars over the years. Just swap the bottom cover with a bad Mustang stereo and it goes right into the Mustang console and looks identical. They usually don't have the convertible top-down in the sun faded faceplates on them either.
  • The mystery connector turned out to be the behind-the-dash connector that is between the amp outputs and the speakers.

The other two plugs check out against the pinouts in my shop manual for both the stereo's power and EQ connections.

The radio/EQ I purchased last week should be arriving tomorrow and, hopefully, will be installed and tested tomorrow afternoon.
  • Son of a...

I've got a bad radio. Damnit!

Amp works fine. EQ works fine. (Tested via plugging my crappy aftermarket radio into the eq/power plugs.

The radio has a serious problem with volume control. I hope the seller can make it right.