New 93 white seat covers from 50resto (Distinctive Industries)

edited May 2009 in Feature Mustangs
Hey folks,

I just received my new leather interior seat covers for my 93TWF from Distinctive Interiors (50resto) and maybe it's me, but I'm a bit concerned.

The new covers are certainly WHITE, but the thread they used to stitch them almost has an off-white or yellowish hue. In addition to that, the grain they used looks quite a bit more "grainy" than what was originally in the car. I haven't called them yet, but 50resto claims there is a "no returns" policy on custom seat covers, but if they're really not what was advertised, I'm hoping I may have a case.

Am I just being too A.R. about this??? (I do have a tendancy).

See the photos below:

IMG_6515.JPG
IMG_6516.JPG
IMG_6517.JPG
IMG_6518.JPG
IMG_6519.JPG
IMG_6521.JPG

Comments

• How did these work out for you? These do not have the black piping do the?
  • I am right now looking at the same thing for my 92. I am working with Laurel Mt. Mustang and they use a company TMI. The swatch they sent me is vinyl, they could not send me any leather. The color is correct but now that I see yours with the graining and the different color stitching, I am a little concerned and will have to ask more questions before I order.

Even though the graining is there and the stitching, after second look, they do look pretty good. How long did it take to get them? If you keep them, are you installing them yourself?

Let us know how it goes, there are alot of us in the same boat looking to replace our leathers
  • Thanks for the reply!

It took about 3 weeks to get them. If I do keep them, they're being istalled by an auto upholsterer in Fairfield, NJ...

Do you folks think I'm being too particular???

Thanks again!
  • I dont think that you are being too particular. Its your ride and get what you want! I agree that the stitching does look a bit yellow and you may just have to go another route. We were lucky with the black interior and found a local shop to do our fronts. Best of luck. Chet and the gang.
  • I think the grain would bother me. I don't think you are being A.R. at all.
  • I guess my biggest concern about the grain is that I'm not replacing my door panels or headrests. If the grain is that different, it will look bad...

What do you think John? (TWF)?
  • I ORDER THE SAME LEATHER SEAT COVERS FROM 50RESTO AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I AM SEND THEM BACK. I AM LOOKING ESLEWHERE AND WILL UPDATE WHEN A BETTER SOLUTION IS FOUND.
  • Check with Laurel Mountain Mustang. They use TMI as their manufacturer. I will call them tomorrow and ask about the grain on the leather and let you know what they say.
  • Excellent! I appreciate that. Please ask about the bright white color as well...

Keep me posted...
  • I guess my biggest concern about the grain is that I'm not replacing my door panels or headrests. If the grain is that different, it will look bad...

What do you think John? (TWF)?
    I agree with the general consensus here. The grain is much more pronounced than that on my seats as well. I have a spare rear seat that I use when I have a car seat in my car and it has grain very similar to what you are showing with these pictures. When I bought my spare seat, it reportedly came from a 1990 7-up convertible.

It is far too much money to spend and not be 100% satisfied.

John
  • I went out to check my 92 and the leather does not really have a pattern to it. My question is how does the vinyl parts to the new seats look? Similar pattern to the leather?

When I look at my swatches, even though they are vinyl, they match up pretty well to the vinyl patterns on my seats and doors.
  • On the new covers (not installed yet), the pattern is the same on the vinyl and leather portions, but do NOT match the pattern on the swatches they had sent me...

They're definitley going back. If 50resto gives me any trouble, I'll let you all know...
  • I called Laurel Mountain Mustang today. I spoke with Lou, a real good guy and very knowlegable. He replaced his seats on his Fox so he has a working knowledge of how these covers work.

I asked him about the grain pattern and he sent me a few pics of a leather cover he had in stock. It is white so you get a good idea of what you would get. The grain pattern more matches the doors and vinyl parts of the seats. The stitching is also white which is nice.

Here are the pics:

p1010291ti3.jpg

p1010285lh9.jpg

p1010287zd7.jpg

Call Lou at Laurel Mt. with any questions. He will take the time to answer all questions which at times is rare. His number is 1-888-925-7669.

Let me know waht you think........
  • Glad I saw this- was just getting ready to order from 5.0 Resto. The swatches that they sent me looked nothing like the grain on the seats you have. I managed to get a sliver of a leather swatch from Mt Laurel (and I mean a SLIVER - I thought the envelope was empty).

I just ordered the solid white door panels from 5.0 resto yesterday, and thought I would wait to get them and then pick from the samples to get the closest match. They are not made by the same company that makes the upholstery- but now I'm worried they will look horrible too... ugh.

I agree- it is way too much money not to be happy with the product.

Let us know how the Mt Laurel covers look.
  • I hear you on the sliver!!!!! I too got one and commented on it today. I can tell the color matches but you really have to look at it to get the grain.
  • Those covers from TMI (laurel) look great! 100% better than the ones I have.

I spoke to my sales rep at 50resto and sent him the pictures. I mentioned about the "yellow" tread and leather grain and he spoke to his manager. They relented and agreed to have DI send a call tag for the covers and said when DI gets them back, they'll credit my CC account back the purchase price.

So provided this actually happens, I'm pretty happy with their handling of the situation, but we'll see...

How much is the full set of covers for the front & back through LM (TMI)???
  • What kind of prices are you guys getting from Laurel Mountain Mustang? Would they be able to get the black piping done as well? Thise pix look really good!
  • My friend Ron emailed me to tell me of another option he used:
    I purchased a full hide. The upholstery shop bought thru a company called Danfield Leather. It is Sierra grain pattern with Oxford White color and is as perfect match as can be obtained for the leather and the factory vinyl. Price is $6 to $7 square foot depending on size of hide. I bought a 63 sq ft hide which is enough to do both cars and have a little left over. I don't think that the companys that are trying to supply covers for the Feature cars are going to match as perfect as my solution. I attached a couple photos. The seat on the 92 was replaced between the black piping on the cushion and backrest. The rear seat on the 93 in the picture just had the cushion done with the original backrest.
    RonSeats1.jpg
    RonSeats2.jpg
  • Along those line of John's email above, I asked Ron to send me some close ups of his seats so we can see the pattern of the grain. Looks alot like Laurel Mt. The one difference he stated was the thickness. When you buy your own hide, you can choose the quality. Also he suggested looking at the stiching. By having ther hide replaced by a shop, you can dictate the stitching pattern. His look pretty close vs the kits.

Well, to the pics!

seats001mediumct9.jpg

seats002mediumuo4.jpg

seats003mediumva8.jpg

seats004mediumpx8.jpg
  • What kind of prices are you guys getting from Laurel Mountain Mustang? Would they be able to get the black piping done as well? Thise pix look really good!

I would suggest calling them to get a accurate quote. They have different options. One was both front seats with vinyl rear and then there is a additional charge if you want leather in the rear. If you check ebay right now, you will find GT leather seats for $599.

One thing I do know is that there is not any additonal cost to have black piping. The company makes the seats to order so by adding the black, there is no real change in cost.

Call Lou....he is very helpful and can get you all the information you may need to help with your decision.
  • OK, I have to give 50resto props here! My sales rep Bryan had the call tags to me today already (to pick up the old covers) and left ANOTHER message telling me to call him after UPS had picked them up so he could track them and IMMEDIATELY process the credit to my CC.

That's service!

On to Classic (TMI), any word on quality or price for a full set???

Anton
  • Got my refund from 50resto today...

Any updates on the other options???
  • I just spoke to Lou @ Laurel Mountain Mustnags... What a nice guy!

Have any of you ordered the Classic (TMI) leather covers from them??? I really want to pull the trigger and get this done, but am leary based on my last experience...

HELLLLP!!!

Thanks!
    Anton
  • Congrats on your quick pay back. It is rare to find such great customer service.

I have not yet pulled the trigger on the seats but leaning towards the TMI seats. It seems they are pretty close based on the pics and swatch sample I have.
  • Ordering the covers from Laurel Mountain Mustangs tomorrow! Keep your fingers crossed...

Thanks for your help Cobra2top!!!

Anton
  • OK, bringing this one back up......looking at fixing the seats on my feature.

Anyone buy the TMI seats? Anyone try and install the covers themselves? Anyone go with the vinyl or stay with the leather?

I am going to call the shop that put my top on and ask about pricing. He was going to replace my covers back in the spring for close to $1000. That included all seats and replacing the foam. I feel that with the economy and possible lack of work (how many people are getting their cars fixed/customized right now???) I may be able to get a better deal.

I also want to call Lou at LM to see if there are any "specials" right now. I have to think they are also having economy issues and strike a deal.

We'll see. I let everyone know what I find out and my decision.

Ken
  • Ken,

Lou really took care of me with the covers... They were FANTASTIC! Far better then the 50Resto stuff...

I'll post new pictures when the weather breaks...

Anton
  • Excellent. Did you have them installed or did you take his advice and do it yourself?
  • I had them installed at "Blue Sky" in Fairfield, NJ along with my top... I'd highly recommend them, they did a great job!

Anton
  • What did they charge you for the seat cover install? Did you add the new foam LM sells or did you have the shop add foam?

Did you go with the leather or vinyl? I want the leather but the vinyl looked very good and everyone said that it wears like iron (it's also 1/2 price!!)

Thanks

Ken