New 93 white seat covers from 50resto (Distinctive Industries)

2»

Comments

• I did buy the new foam from them, and went with the Leather... I wanted to keep it as close to original as possible...

BlueSky provided the top ('94 white, best quality), new glass, headliner, & new cables (my clips were shot). I provided the seat covers, new power seat track, and all new top & door weather stripping.

Including repairing both door panel pockets, his parts, & installation, all of this cost me a total of $2000, and as I said, the work was meticulous!

I couldn't be happier...
    Anton
  • $2K, did that include the seat covers and foam from LM, or just his labor?

I went to my "guy" today who put my top on and he is going to call me with his estimate to replace the seat leathers and foam. He is going to check the TMI seats and then see how much the hides will cost and give me both estimates.

I know there was alot of discussion about white or Oxford white. He had large samples of each and my 92 is Oxford without a doubt. It's interesting because when we were in his office looking at the swatches, he showed me the Oxford and there is no way it was correct. It looked very grey compared to white. Needless to say, when we walked up to my car it was definitely Oxford.

We will see what he comes back with and go from there. I want them done by Carlisle this year!!
  • Will the seat cover shop do the black piping? Are they using the original ones off the car?

Thanks!
    Ryan
  • I asked and they said no, they would have to use new. The issue and he was up front, is that they do not make that size of black piping anymore. It would be slightly bigger. Not sure what TMI is using so pending the cost from the shop, if I go the TMI route I will ask them what piping they are using.
  • I provided the seat covers, new power seat track, and all new top & door weather stripping (from LM). Everything else was supplied by Blue Sky...

Anton
  • I asked and they said no, they would have to use new. The issue and he was up front, is that they do not make that size of black piping anymore. It would be slightly bigger. Not sure what TMI is using so pending the cost from the shop, if I go the TMI route I will ask them what piping they are using.
    I wonder how well the new piping will look? In my opinion the black piping is very important, and is one of the things that sets the car apart from the rest.
  • I know there was alot of discussion about white or Oxford white. He had large samples of each and my 92 is Oxford without a doubt. It's interesting because when we were in his office looking at the swatches, he showed me the Oxford and there is no way it was correct. It looked very grey compared to white. Needless to say, when we walked up to my car it was definitely Oxford.
    Great point. It's amazing how the human mind can fool us. Good advice to do an actual comparison.
  • I wonder how well the new piping will look? In my opinion the black piping is very important, and is one of the things that sets the car apart from the rest.

Ok, here is a sample picture of a 92 with the larger black piping.........what does everyone think?

img05681uj2.jpg
  • Wow, Seats look great! I honestly couldnt tell a difference if that was a before or after picture. They did a great job!
  • Thought I would bring this one up again as today I dropped my 92 off for replacement seat covers. All I can say is I am already happy!

The owner Sam at my shop and I have talked in the past about the piping issue. I mentioned to him about re-using the originals as per alot of people including him, that the original "smaller" black piping is not available. Well, as luck would have it, he asked his "kit manufacturer" about the smaller piping and they had it!! Ironically he was putting in a customer provided TMI kit while I was there and we compared the two and mine and it was smaller. It is the factory size!!

He said they came from California Seats (?) but I will need to confirm the name of his supplier. Also we looked that the construction of the TMI seats vs. mine and I have to say, the construction of my seat cover is better. For example, the areas that the wire guides run in on my cover is fully enclosed while the TMI seats are just loops. Also he showed how my seats were double stiched in places that the TMI was not.

Nothing against TMI as that was the way I was originally going to go. The change in plans for me was the shop ordered everything, had it arrive in 2 weeks (vs TMI minimum of 4 weeks) and will do everything front and back seats in leather including foam for $1200. TMI cost in with kit and foam was around $1000 and then it was going to cost $400 for the labor. In the end the $200 difference was a no brainer. Best thing is I have a pro working on it vs me doing it in my garage as my original plans were to do.

I'll post up pics tomorrow as that is when the seats are to be done :D
  • Sounds awesome!! Look forward to seeing the finished product.
  • Well I got the car back this afternoon and I could not be happier! It's amazing to ride in new seats. I am shocked how "flat" the old foam was. I guess 17 years will do that!

The manufacturer of my seat covers is Autocraft Interiors out of Ludlow MA. The pattern on the leather is the same as the factory and the all important piping is the same size too. I asked for my old covers to compare. The only difference is the feel. The new leather feel much thicker. It's really noticable on the rear seatback. I always thought the factory leather was thin right in the middle (that large unsewn center section on the seat back). Also the only real deviation I can see from factory is the headrest and the bottom. The head rest on the factory are vinyl and on the new they are leather. The other thing is on the factory the bottom seat cusion in the back are carpet and the new they are leather (not noticable unless you get under the seat to look for it).

Well, to the pictures! Let me know what you think!

BEFORE FRONT
    mustangbeforeandafterse.jpg

AFTER FRONT
    mustangbeforeandafterse.jpg

BEFORE REAR
    mustangbeforeandafterseq.jpg

AFTER REAR
    mustangbeforeandafterseg.jpg

CLOSE UP
    mustangbeforeandaftersep.jpg

AFTER FRONT BOTH SEATS
    mustangbeforeandafterset.jpg
  • That looks terrific!!! I wonder if that manufacturer also makes the black. I like the idea of the double stitching, if I am going to spend that much money.
  • Thanks. I am sure they make them in black. I would search to see what they have.

I could also get you in touch with my guy. He maybe could order them for you or get you in contact with them.
  • Wow... Those look friggin SWEET! So, after all was done how much did you spend?
  • Wow... Those look friggin SWEET! So, after all was done how much did you spend?
    In the end all total with taxes was $1300. As metioned before the kits on line are around $800 then the foam is $120 per seat. This does not include the $100 shipping fee for it all. So for the $200 for them to professionally install in 1 day was worth it to me.

Now though I realize I am at the point of no return! Now I need to clean up the arm rest and rear speaker covers..........
  • Awesome results!!!!
  • Wow! Beautifully done!